web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Client has an MICS with analog line cards. They recently switched (against my recommendation) to an ATT "IP Solutions" product which delivers their dial tone via a router.

Nine lines, all roll-over.

Client has been receiving complaints of busy lines on incoming calls. I tested today and determined that the main line cannot handle more than 2 simultaneous calls (second caller rolls to L2, third caller gets a busy signal).

I KNOW, BEYOND A DOUBT that ATT is going to say "it's your phone equipment". I KNOW THEY'RE GOING TO SAY THIS!(And I'll bet you any amount this will occur).

So, as typical, I have to prepare to defend my Nortel system. Are there any settings in the system that would prevent a roll or cause a busy signal? I've already checked C.O. line distance, etc.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Danny,
I would ask them how many paths they have for the main Hunt Group. I know the customer has to pay per path and the Sales Rep will sometimes not put as many paths as they should to make the quote look better.

I can not think of any reason why it could possibly be the PBX.

Let us know what happens.
Mark Mc

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Rollover is handled by the carrier. The PBX doesnt do anything with it except accept the call.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
OP Offline
Originally posted by MMcDonald01:
Danny,
I would ask them how many paths they have for the main Hunt Group.
I spoke with an engineer who was logged-in to the router yesterday and he indicated 10 paths. They have 9 lines, so that adds up.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Danny,
I do not get the math. If he said they have 10 paths for nine lines it does not make sense. If you have someone who can test with you I would ask them to make the change to no paths. If this is done the second call should get a busy signal. If that works then I would have them setup the setting back to 8 paths which should be correct.

Mark

OP Offline
Nine paths would be the nine lines, 10th path would be the ATT voicemail box.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Get yourself (9) 2500 sets, (9) modular blocks, and (9) pairs of inside wire to the router block.

Verify the PSTN numbers, and put a Post-It note on each phone, numbered from 1 to 9.

Disconnect the PBX.

Schedule a vendor meet with AT&T. Be sure to invite your customer to observe.

Demonstrate the problem, using just the SLT's.

Ring into, and then leave off-hook, each phone in turn. Use a cell phone with its speakerphone turned on to do this, as a "nothing up my sleeve" proof.

* The cost of the phones is minimal.

* The cost of your labor is minimal.

* The look on their faces when you do your little dog & pony show and prove that they are FOS....

"Priceless."

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Danny, I assume this worked before the change.
What Arthur says is a good thing to do, however if the problem is yours AT&T will bill the customer. Your time should not be for free.
Present Arthur's solution to the customer and give them a price to test that way. In either case you'll know where the promlem is. It's not the PBX,
Ken

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
just pull all the lines off the MICS , make three test calls and see what happens to the third call

when it returns busy then its in ATT's court

have you tried dialing the third line directly to see if it rings or returns busy ?

while Arthur's scenario is appealing there is really no need to have phones physically attached and to go through the time and expense

9 2500s @ 30 is 270 you really dont need to spend if you dont have a recurring use for 2500s

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Instead of 2500 sets, just put a short across each line to simulate off-hook.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 163 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024