web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15180 03/12/07 07:54 AM
OP Offline
New here and thanks, in advance, for being patient with someone who knows absolutely nothing about telephone systems. Please, if you can, keep the answer simple as I don't, for example, know what stuff like DTMF, Cat5, KSU, POTS, etc. are. (If you have to use some technical terms, I'll try to run it by my brother-in-law, who works for Verizon.)

The problem: I had two telephone lines (plain old copper) coming into the house; one for voice calls, and the other for a dial up computer connection. I had a fax program (WinFax, from Symantec) on the computer, so the phone number for the computer was, also, the fax number. Everything worked fine. I, recently, switched to a fiber optic (FiOS) phone line / computer connection. With this, I can work on the computer, and talk on the phone, at the same time, so I eliminated one line. The voice number and the fax number are now the same. I was told that the fax would work, provided the computer was still plugged into a phone jack. I can send faxes, with no problem, but I can't receive. When a fax call comes in, it sees it as a voice call and if I don't pick up (and hear the fax squeal), the answering machine gets it. Any ideas on how I can get this thing to differentiate between fax and voice calls?

Thanks again.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#15181 03/12/07 09:24 AM
That has nothing to do with FIOS. You would have had that same problem before if you had eliminated one of your lines and put the fax together with your voice line.

You are going to have to get a fax switch and put that first then your computer and phone will plug into that. The Stick comes highly recommended. Google it.

As a side note it has been reported that FIOS does have problems with fax transmissions causing faxes not to be sent or received properly. Since you are able to send and it was received at the other end without errors I would assume that you are OK but just keep this in mind if you should discover another problem.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#15182 03/12/07 11:24 AM
There are also computer fax/voice mail programs available.

You load the software on your computer and record your voice in it.

Computer now becomes your answering machine. It will answer your line after a set number of rings and play your voice mail message. If you are home and answer, the software listens and if it hears tones, it will automatically start receiving the fax as you hang up the extension.

#15183 03/12/07 11:30 AM
I've used The Stick many times with great success. I'm curious about something, though (since I've had no experience with FiOS, given where I live): At home, I have my plain old copper line (this is POTS, John) going first to my fax machine, then from the fax to the answering machine. Answering machine is set for two rings, the fax machine for four. If I get a fax, the fax machine hears the tone and picks up. If they off-hook dial the fax, my answering machine picks up and alerts a fax sender to press "Start." When I had my fax set up in my PC I did it the same way (looped through the modem). Does FiOS deliver in some fashion that makes this impossible? Sorry if this hijacked the thresad.
Bill

#15184 03/12/07 11:47 AM
Admin
Admin

[Linked Image]
#15185 03/12/07 11:53 AM
Does FiOS deliver in some fashion that makes this impossible?

Actually a good question. Answer is no, should make no difference.

I think you really need to forget that FIOS is delivering phone service and understand that it delivers a POTS line (actually 4 and soon 8 if you need them) out of the optical terminal. It's like having a Lightspan at your house instead of down the street.

That problem with fax transmission can be a problem with Lightspans also.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#15186 03/14/07 02:43 AM
OP Offline
Thanks very much for the help. I've been trying to get this solved for three and a half months now.

#15187 03/14/07 05:46 AM
John,

Now you always know the first place to come for help smile There's a great bunch of people here.

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

#15188 03/26/07 07:51 AM
OP Offline
Problem solved. Thanks again. Got The Stick. Didn't install it quite right, at first, but their tech support guy was very good, and quickly got us straightened out. Everything works fine now.

#15189 06/20/07 09:13 AM
Had FIOS installed. Unable to fax. Fax machine connects to remote fax and usually sends no more than 1 to 1 1/2 pages. Receiving side will usually get 1 page, any additional pages (if they get them) contain several lines of text that are corrupted. Never have problems connecting to remote fax. Error messages generated by fax machine indicate "communication error". Have tried 3 fax machines; a HP Laserjet 3015, Brother MFC-5860CN, and a neighbor's Brother fax (can't remember the model). Same problem with all machines. Spoke to technical help at HP and Brother. Changed baud rates, error correction, V34. Still no luck. Verizon has been to the house twice and states that the internal telephone lines in the house are fine and the outside box is functioning properly. They say there is nothing more they can do.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry LaSov
[email protected]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (hitechcomm, nortelvoip), 189 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024