Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#152702 03/16/05 11:50 PM
hdokes Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings,

I have installed a 4C0 expansion card into my existing KX-TD1232. This unit has 3 RJ14 ports on it. 1 PFT port, 1 PFT/CO port and one CO port. When I plug a POTS line into the PFT or PFT/CO port it brings down the POTS line itself. The CO only port does not do this. I have swapped with a differenct 4CO thinking I had a defective one however this unit does the same thing. It also does not matter which expansion slot I install the unit into and I have also swapped other POTS lines into the PFT PFT/CO jacks and get the same results.

Is there a specific way this expansion unit has to be configured so that it isn't using the PFT feature of the unit? This is the only conclusion I can come up with as to why it kills the POTS line when plugged in.

I will also state here that the POTS lines are outputs from a Linksys/Cisco VoIP DSL/Cable router.

------------------
Thanks much for any assitance provide.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

the PFT port is for power failure only. the ports below that port are the ports you need to be using. I strongly suggest getting a manual.

hdokes Offline OP
OP Offline
Indeed.

As I described, there are 3 ports. The top port is a PFT, the middle port is a PFT/CO combo port and the bottom port is a CO port. I do have a full set of manuals however I could not identify any significant information regarding the use of the PFT/CO combo port other than what I have experienced which is both the PFT and PFT/CO port bring down the CO lines (both lines in the RJ11 jack). I am fully aware what the PFT is and it's purpose and that it is not to be used for CO purposes. My question is related to the combo port and if there is a requirement to define it as one or the other as it seems to be defined as a PFT port at this time given it pulls down the CO lines when they are plugged in.

As always, any assistance is very much appreciated. Thank you.

No, the 2nd port is for the 1st 2 COs on that card.
The pft/co means that CO will be transferred to the PFT port on a power failure.
It shouldn't be pulling the CO down unless there's something wierd with that VOIP CO.
plug it in without the 180 card connected and see what happens.
You can put any card in any slot but it must be programmed accordingly.
It's posible that someone got into programming and none of the 3 slots are set for a CO card.
Check this in program 109 and remember to count from bottom up. 1 is the bottom slot, 2 is the middle and 3 is on top.

Mr. isnt there 3 ports on the card like he describes, one port for lines 9-10 other port 11-12 and the PFT port. if memeory serves me, first port (bottom most port) would be 9-10 next one up is 11-12. By default placing the CO card in the bottom most slot of the cabinet would require no programming, unless like you said someone had changed the programming.

hdokes Offline OP
OP Offline
The middle port is the PFT/CO combo port. The bottom port, which I have CO lines 9 and 10 attached to (also VoIP) is working just fine. The middle port is bringing down the VoIP line in the same matter that the top port (PFT only) does. I have made sure that the expansion slot has been programmed properly in 109 and have even swapped expansion positions and programmed accordingly. I have also moved the CO (VoIP lines) that are working in port 9/10 to the 11/12 (PFT/CO) middle port and the lines are again taken down. One last thing... I have also swapped 4CO expansion modules and still have the same result. You can understand my confusion and frustration.... and why I suspect a programming issue for the PFT/CO combo port. In other words... how does the main board of the 1232 know that the middle port is being used for PFT or CO purposes?

Thanks again... hope someone can shed some light as it is kicking my behind.

hdokes, OK, I just checked my manuals to be sure.
CO lines 9 & 10 go to the middle jack.
on a power failure these lines transfer to station ports 17 and 18 respectivly BUT you a line cord from the top jack on the 180 card, marked PFT to the PFT jack on a 170 extension expansion card.
CO lines 11 & 12 go to the bottom jack on the 180 card
Yes this is different then the main unit where the CO lines go from the bottom and work up.
Test the card with co lines 1&2 and 3&4.
I suspect that the problem is either in your wiring for CO lines 9,10,11,& 12 or the fact that they are off of some sort of channel bank or CSU and the REN is just not there.

Moderated by  Carl Navarro, OBT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,771
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,457 Shoretel
188,318 CTX100 install
187,089 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
jsaad 2
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 148 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024