Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Well, I don't know. I've got my home network running on Cat2/3 (that's what was here when I started replacing my asynchronous pc-pc connections with a LAN), and while accessing the 3MB DSL on a 5MB LAN is fine, I think I'd rather transfer files and back stuff up on a 100mbs connection.

There's a place for everything. Cat 3 for Voice and Cat 5E/6 for Data.

Personally, I can't wait for CAT 7. We're going to "have to" replace all the data cabling for these Yahoos who HAVE TO have the latest and the greatest.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Well you guys are right about the outside connections being limited with the cat-nothing cable. As Sam said though, internal networks is what you really want the faster speeds for. People want gigabit ethernet because it makes a difference between clients and servers, file sharing, etc.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Not to add my "two cents" but in my region, I only run CAT5E for all of my my telephone runs. The reason is financial. My supplier sells CAT5E cheaper than the CAT3. Although it's a bigger pain in the rear to punch down CAT5E, it's 10 dollars cheaper oer 1000' than CAT3. I charge more for the CAT5E with the explanation that it's a better grade of cable. I run white CAT5E for telephones and blue CAT5E for data.

As for punching the cables, I always punch down all of the pairs for each station run. Accessibility is the reason. I never punch station cables on both sides of a split block then cross connect from the expansion block to each side. One side is station; one side is features from the ksu, pbx, or direct c.o.

I find that works for me.

Al Dukes :db:

"Let Everything Be Done Decently and In Order" 1 Corinthians 14:40
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
"it's 10 dollars cheaper oer 1000' than CAT3."

That works out to $0.01/foot. Now all you have to do is install about a million miles of it & you can retire on the savings...

Cat 3 for tel, cat 5e for data. I once considered using just cat 5e for investment reasons, then I realised that no-one would want a larger diameter cable running along the baseboard in their house, & definately not blue or any other color. So, if I had to have 2 colors I might as well have the 2 proper types & do it right. Also not supposed to staple it, so for all the inside wiring that I do (residential) that would be nothing but a royal PITA to install.

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
I use Cat-5 for voice simply to save space on the truck. OK, I do keep one box of Cat-3 in case I need to make a custom patch/split cable for Partner voice applications.

While we are on the pricing note. Cat5 outside plant is much more expensive.

I cant stand the thought of cmr or cmp running out in the elements along a wall. The shield cant take it and will crack up inside of one years time.

Just one more reason to use the proper wire and shield type for the job. aok

When I run cable, I would never staple or run along baseboard. My wiring is always hidden. I have been installing for 30 years and would not think of running wire anywhere but in a hidden fashion. If I have to use wiremold to hide, so be it. As for the savings of a penny per foot, that's no big deal. But to staple along a baseboard...that's not my idea of a good installation.

Al Dukes :confused:

"Let Everything Be Done Decently and In Order" 1 Corinthians 14:40
"My wiring is always hidden. I have been installing for 30 years and would not think of running wire anywhere but in a hidden fashion. If I have to use wiremold to hide, so be it."

I have yet to find one single residential client willing to pay the extra cost. I explain how I'm going to run it & where. If they want it hidden, they get two choices cost plus labour or call an EC. There's not enough money in residential to put up with fishing wires. I had only one client who refused who was in turn told to get an EC or plan on getting a lot of exercise running for the phone. Everywhere was gyrocked & covered over including the protector.

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
I see a lot of people knocking CAT5 for telephone here, my question is what is the harm? I only stock CAT5 on my truck just for simplicity and use it for phones and network. I'm not hurting anyone by putting in CAT5 instead of CAT3, if anything I'm giving them a chance to use it for data at a late date depending on where it's run from. Also, price wise I get CAT5 cheaper than CAT3 for the same length.

So, what is the negative of installing CAT5 for phones instead of CAT3?

-Robert F
Ozzy Offline OP
OP Offline
I accept using cat 3 for voice and I will all the time unless all the stock I got left is cat5e. The real issue is whether voice cabling will be leading to where you will need cat5? It went from cat nothing to cat3. And shielding will be more important than twist for some applications.

I also need to thank -Hal again for the correct way to wire a residential junction.

Best regard,

Ozzy
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,557 Shoretel
189,431 CTX100 install
187,597 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (BobRobert), 116 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024