web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
My church recently acquired a used Telrad Digital 400 system to replace an aging Macrotel system. Since I installed the Macrotel system originally, and I work in the datacom field, I have become the "resident phone expert" and have been given the task of installing the new system. The installation is going well, but I have one question that I have not been able to find an answer for.

I am trying to figure out how to configure the system so a trunk group can be accessed for outgoing calls by dialing a "9". I have it working to some extent by assigning the Function Access Code 9 to LCR, and then routing the LCR to the trunk group. Even though I am not specifying a modification table, LCR seems to want to use one anyway. The only way I have found to keep the modification table from adding leading digits is to tell it to add a "do-nothing-digit" (pause when dialing), which gives a short burst (1 sec) of dial tone just before the system outdials the number. The system users find this annoying, and would prefer that it didn't do that.

I think the trunk group is set up properly- if I dial the DN of the trunk group, I get a line and outside dial tone. I just want the users to be able to do this by dialing a 9 instead of dialing the trunk group DN.

Anyway, back to the original question.
How do I assign a function code 9 to directly access the trunk group without going through the LCR?

The system is a single cabinet Digital 400 system. Software version is 3.05. I have seven phone lines connected to a COL card which are all part of the trunk group. There are also 5 ELD cards in the system with about 25 extensions currently active (35 more eventually). There is also an OCD card with a MIM module for connection to the Imagen voice mail PC.

Any advice you have would be appreciated.

Larry

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Administrator
Administrator
Larry
If you only have 1 trunk group make it 9 remove the 9 from the LCR access.
Or clear the mod tables in LCR and the system will dial without modifaction. The short burst od dialtone you hear is the CO dial tone. You can also shorten the time of dial out by reducting the number of digits for a local number. Also change your area code to 1800 and remove all area routes. If you need more help email me

------------------
ssimpson@oneringtelecom.com Need a Telrad Programmer Kit? Telrad Programmer Kits

OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestion. Changing the DN of the trunk group to 9 is so simple and obvious that I'm embarassed that I didn't think of it. But thanks, just the same. It works fine now after I made the change.

I am curious about the problem I was having with the LCR, though. I originally had cleared the modification table, and had one route entry that routed all calls to the one trunk group. Initially, I didn't even specify a modification table in the route table. In theory, the LCR should just have dialed the number with no modifications. But with that configuration, every attempt to dial a local call resulted in an error message from the phone company- "I'm sorry, but you must dial the area code when dialing this number. Please hang up and try again". It was as though the LCR was adding a digit ( a 1 or 9 ?) to the beginning of the number. I checked the number using the LCR check option, and it didn't indicate that it was adding any digits. I don't have anything to capture & decode the outgoing DTMF digits, so I don't know exactly what it was dialing. But if I used a modification table with Delete digits=0, Add-Preceding digits=W and Add-trailing-digits=<blank>, then the number would dial correctly, although the "W" would cause a pause in the dialing, which produced the burst of dial tone from the CO. Apparently, the "W" entry either prevented the extra digit from being sent, or sent it at a time that didn't matter, such as before the trunk went off-hook.

Anyway, its now more of a theoretical discussion, as I have changed the trunk group DN to 9 and it seems to be working now the way I wanted it to. I'm still curious about why the LCR acted that way, and am still willing to discuss it if anyone wants to, but my immediate problem is solved.

Thanks!
Larry

Administrator
Administrator
Larry
Before you installed the system did you default it to remove any programming or errors in programming?

------------------
ssimpson@oneringtelecom.com Need a Telrad Programmer Kit? Telrad Programmer Kits

OP Offline
Well.... yes & no. I did reset the system to factory default, but the new config file I loaded was a modified version of the previous owner's config file. At the time, creating a new config file from scratch looked like a monumental task, so I just made changes to the existing config file. I did go through and remove/clear everything that I wasn't using from the old config. In retrospect, doing the config wasn't that hard, and I wish I had started with the factory default config file. I still might end up going back and starting fresh.

As one of my co-workers once said- "It's intuitive once you figure it out"

Larry

Moderated by  SSPhone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,579 Shoretel
189,459 CTX100 install
187,615 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024