web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#18972 04/12/08 04:18 AM
OP Offline
Didnt know where to ask this question but I figured someone here may have come up with a solution to this one.

Let me explain that I am a Tech and on the road most of the day. I have a spint wireless cards so Im always connected to the internet.

What I would like to do is setup some kind of soft modem/phone with my office pc. The reason for this is alot of my customers have Remote Access Devices (Modems) on there phone system that I can connect to but as it stands I cant access them from just an internet connection I have setup a remote desktop connection to office computer for customers that have direct lines to there RAD's but I do have a few that need to transfer me in on top of that the remote desktop can be slow at times.

So if anyone knows how to use a remote computers modem or what software would acomplih this it would be great
Thanks In Advance.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#18973 04/12/08 04:22 AM
It sounds like you want to Remote Desktop into your office computer from your laptop, then use the office computer to access the client?

Try LogMeIn.com. Create a FREE account and it will allow you to securely connect to your office pc. You can also add multiple computers to your LogMeIn account, then, by visiting LogMeIn.com and logging in you can see a list of all of your computers that you can control.

If you don't like LogMeIn (I love it, but you may not...) Try Symantec PcAnywhere (Costs $).

Kristopher
#18974 04/12/08 04:38 AM
OP Offline
Close but no I already have a remote desktop connection I use VNC it works but I'd like a softphone/Modem solution. Sometimes I need to talk to the customer before they transfer me to there modem. I dont think I've heard of anyone doing this but it would be great for on the road tech to connect to an office computers modem through an internet connection to do remote programing.

I'm just kinda poking arround to see if anyone has done this or knows of a solution. Figured if I thought of it someone alot smarter then me has already figured it out smile

#18975 04/12/08 08:49 AM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Great question!

I will be waiting for an answer too, as I would like something similar.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
#18976 04/12/08 12:41 PM
sph Offline
I don't understand the question very well
I assume that your card is a Sprint EVDO wireless WAN card
Do you want to emulate a modem through the wireless internet connection?
Do you want to use the EVDO card as a cellular modem to dialup somebody?
Do you want to dialIN to an office PC that's set up as a Remote Access Server and use that server's dialOUT modem(s) to call somebody else?
Do you want to take remote control of an office PC's modem?

A little clarification would help

#18977 04/12/08 01:00 PM
your wireless card may be a dialer capable of making a phone call via sprint. Investigate that option. Your cell phone may also be able to serve as dial tone for your lappy modem with the proper connector. I used to have a connection kit for my lappy to my sprint phone that could dial any number. not just the number for sprint internet access.

I can not recommend any technology platform, only technicians!
#18978 04/12/08 02:55 PM
Whitestar,

You are probably using RAD device for n* products. There is no work around for this type of transfer. Might want to carry a little flip analog phone / and splitter and dial directly out from your laptop, assuming you have dial tone around.

Otherwise reconfigure you RAD for a different type of transfer, other than operator assisted.

#18979 04/12/08 05:01 PM
Originally posted by WhiteStar:
...Sometimes I need to talk to the customer before they transfer me to there modem.
This reminds me of the old Intertel days when I had to make the pc dial a number, pick up a telephone connected to the pc and ask whoever answered the phone to transfer me to extension 99, then hang up the phone and my modem took over, if the timing was perfect. (it was always a PITA but I could get it to work sometimes)
I forget which system it was, been too many years and too many beers for me to remember. wink

If that's what you are trying to do remotely I don't think there's anything on the market with that capability.
But I may be completely misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish.

#18980 04/13/08 06:51 AM
OP Offline
Thats kinda what I'd like to do Texas but using my laptop and one connection.

SPH Here is what im thinking of and as I said I dont think it's out there but thought I'd just see what other ppl say about it.

I'd like to setup a softphone/modem server at my office on a machine I curntly use VNC on my laptop I'd use remote client as a modem I would plug in a MIC for communication and here is what I would do to connect open my communication softwre prepare it for connection. Then call my customer using the client program that connects to my office computer and dials the customers number talk to them through the MIC and tell them to transfer me to 99 or F N* for nortel.

Currently to do this I have to remote connect to office computer call the customer on my cell phone tell them that the next call comming in is me and to transfer me. It works but gets really annoying when you have to do it a couple of times because the modem drops or does not connect. Most customers dont have too much of a problem doing it this way but you get the 1 out of 10 that does nothing but complain about it.

Another advantage of doing this would be you could use an IST port of you phone system and communicate with ppl at your office. Now I know that we could install a VOIP phone system and use there software but trying to convince my boss to do that is almost impossible not that I've given up.

Another way I've thought of doing it was to get vontage with a box that offers an RJ11 jack that I can plug directly into my modem with my sprint card I can create a bridge betwen my LAN and the sprint card to allow the vontage to connect. Dont know if this would work and I'm not about to sign up to see. if any of you have one give it a shot smile and let me know.

I was just seeing if anyone has run accross this kind of software setup or if anyone knows a good progammer smile who can make a server client setup would be nice for on the road techs to have.

And thanks for the fast reply's

#18981 04/13/08 02:06 PM
sph Offline
As was mentioned above, there are several ways of doing this. By far the easiest would be to find out whether Sprint's service can provide you with modem (dialtone) emulation so you can dialup through the wireless card.
Another option: most cellular providers do piggyback highspeed data on their service as an add-on. So you can use a cell modem (they're still expensive though) for either dialup or for direct connect depending on what you do. Or use this service with your cellphone with a modem adapter.
Even if you go past that, you're still having the problem with the call transfer to the RAD.
If we were talking about true voicemodems (V92/V44 type), these can switch between voice&data on the same call, but the ISP has to have similar equipment in their modem banks. This feature is called "Internet Hold" or "Net Waiting" or "Line/Voice Detect" or a million other ways. Unfortunately, I've never heard of any modem emulation software or adapter that can do this. You do need a true Voice Modem, which means a walljack.
Other than that, I'd just dedicate a line for admin, or put it on an AA with the proper programming. Don't forget that Nortel, like most such systems, limit the connection speed anyway, so the connection's going to be much slower that your modem's capability.
There's no need for VOIP (vonage etc) here. This is already too complicated.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,867
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,677 Shoretel
189,672 CTX100 install
187,873 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nortelvoip), 127 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024