web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hello,

I found this forum while searching for the pinout of a PPTC-9 adapter. It looks very helpful. I couldn't find another post with my exact situation, so I'm creating a new post. I have little to no telephone system experience, I am a computer technician. The first part of this post will be telling the story, then I'll get to the questions.

I trade computer services with a local doctor. He has always had little problems here and there with his Toshiba CIX 40 phone/voicemail system. I have been able to help him with wiring, resetting voicemail passwords, dialing in from the outside, etc. Some of this information I got from Googling manuals and reading through them.

He has always had a particular problem where it seems he has two mailboxes when a caller is sent to voicemail. After looking into it I realized that first the greeting at mailbox 990 (apparently the auto attendant) is played and then the greeting at mailbox 500 is played (apparently the message center) and then the caller is prompted to record after the tone. On top of that, there is about a 5-10 second delay between each greeting (having officially timed it, but it's long enough to be annoying). Basically, it made him sound very unprofessional when someone called in and got the voicemail.

I couldn't figure it out, and finally he thought it was worth it to call a professional, so he called the company which (indirectly) sold him the system originally. At first the pro sounded really promising, explaining that the auto attendant could be setup with multiple numbered options to playback hours and directions, etc., and he could even enable the music on hold port for an iPod, etc. All that sounded great so the doctor said go ahead and make it happen. Then it fell apart.

The pro setup empty mailboxes for the auto attendant options (option 1 when to 555, option 2 went to 556, etc.) and then had them go back to 990 after the greeting was finished. The problem was that he experienced the same 10 second delay in between pressing the option number and playing the greeting at the next mailbox. This was basically the whole reason we called him out to begin with. He proceeded to scratch his head and start changing system settings, saying over and over that the system was setup wrong to begin with and nothing was acting the way it should, etc. After an hour went by we told him to forget the auto attendant deal, just make it so that it goes straight to the message center, which is the other part of why we called him out originally. He even had trouble with this, but finally got that part working. Two hours and $180 later. No music on hold, no auto attendant options, still have the delay, but it goes straight to mailbox 500 when nobody answers. The delay is still present between the end of the greeting and the system "please record after the tone" message.

I asked the pro to give me a copy of the admin software he was using so that I could try and fix it later on my own, which brings me to here. I have the Stratagy VM Manager and Network eManager software, the crossover cable, and RJ-12 to DB-9 adapter with 6-wire cable. He gave me the basic default connection information for eManager. I learned a little bit by watching him use this software. He did treat me like a child at one point when changing the system settings and told me to never go in and change these on my own.

The bottom line is I now apparently have the tools and would like to try and fix this for my doctor. Can anyone help point me in the right direction to get rid of the delay between greetings?

Also, I have pulled up some admin manuals for this system in Google but they seem basic and incomplete. Is there a more detailed service manual available that anyone would like to share? That would be awesome.

Thanks for the help.

--
Klint

Klint
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Normally, the VMail will play the initial greeting (mailbox 990) and then play the instructional greeting (991) immediately after 990. Check to see if 5 sec of silence was recorded in MB 991 causing the long delay. Watching the channel status in the admin software will tell you what the VMail is doing after answering an incoming call.

OP Offline
That's funny that you say that. I tried to record silence on the greeting at 990, in order to see if I could get it to skip the greeting, but it never would recognize the recording if it was just silence. I had to make some type of sound in order to save it. I'll check and see if there is a 991.

With that said, the system goes straight to 500 now when nobody answers. And there is a seven second delay (just called and counted it out) between the end of the greeting and the "please record after the tone."

I also just tried to dial the doctor's extension (205) during the message center greeting. After about 20 seconds of silence I finally heard his mailbox greeting, but the "please record" message played immediately after.

Any other ideas on these strange delays?

Thanks.

--
Klint

Klint
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
You also need to check the chain done values as MB991 normally waith for 5 seconds by default before going to mailbox 0.

When mailbox 500 was create which mailbox was it copied from?

So have you got the software and cable on a PC so you can log into the voicemail?

Regards
Carl
OP Offline
Yes, I just got my RJ-12/DB-9 adapter. I have the software on my laptop. The Network eManager seemed to have some problems, but I'm going to try installing it on a clean XP install.

I don't know what mailbox 500 was copied from, I wasn't around when it was initially setup. Is there a way to tell?

I will check out the chain done value on 991. Can I just delete 991?

Thanks.

Klint
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Hi Klint

Don't remove MB991 as it is the instructions mailbox that all mailboxes default to after exiting their mailbox.

How are you getting the call to go into MB500?
Is MB500 the default AA mailbox in the VM parameters (set_box_greet_1 = 500)?

Can you explain how the call is supposed to be handled from ringing the handsets to what happens after MB500 plays the message and then what.....?

Regards
Carl
OP Offline
As of now, I haven't done anything. Since I just got my adapter yesterday, I will try it out today. For now, I can tell you what I remember from the phone tech working on it, and please excuse if I don't use the right lingo. :-)

After he couldn't get rid of the delay in setting up the auto attendant menu options (the delay in between mailboxes), he switched it to just go to MB500. He also tried several ways to accomplish this, one of which I recall was setting up some sort of call group (I think he used 550) which had stations 200 and 205 and then MB500 was the last option in that list. That didn't seem to work, so he finally just set day 1 and 2 and night to MB500. Does that make sense?

How the call is supposed to be handled...

Well, ideally we'd like to use the auto attendant with menu options. We can revisit that if we can figure out where the delay is coming from. Right now the call goes something like this:

- Incoming calls ring stations 200 and 205
- If not answered, it is routed to MB500
- If set to night, it is routed straight to MB500
- The MB500 greeting is played
- After the end of the greeting (you can here the click at the end of the recording) there is about a seven second delay
- The system says something like "Please record after the tone, finish by pressing #"
- Tone

So, the immediate problem is to eliminate that seven second delay. Also note that there is a (phantom?) MB501 to handle VMs on the second line.

I'll be logging into the system today myself and will report back what I find. Thanks for the help.

Klint
What is the chain delay set to under groups and chains on mailboxes 500, 990, and 991?

Former Moderator-Toshiba, Request an Installer
Former Moderator-Toshiba, Request an Installer
That "Please record after the tone, finish by pressing #" has me concerned. Usuall that is the default system greeting ion a mailbox when you do not record your own greeting. I would investigate that.

You are now crossing over into installer information. This forum is intended to address end user questions and programming that would normally be found in the user guide.

I would like to see you take this off-board with a moderator or installer for resolution. Thanks.

Now available Voicemail Programmer Kit to program your Toshiba Voice Mail across your network.

Toshiba Technical Support at: One Ring Telecom
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
So Klint

What do you have set in the Chain Done and Chain Delay in MB500?

Sounds like it plays the greeting of MB500 then delays before going to another mailbox to take a message. That is where the delay is coming in before the default greeting "Please record after the tone, finish by pressing #" of the take a message mailbox.

You could play the message in MB500 and then take the message in MB500 and copy it to the receptionist's mailbox if required.

As Voyager has said it would be better to get someone from the forum to support you remotely as it would be a lot quicker in the long run.
Having the software will be useful in making password or name changes but leave the configuration so someone who is experienced in the Toshiba Voicemails.

Regards
Carl
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 136 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024