web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20703 11/19/08 05:53 PM
OP Offline
We received an uninvited call this evening at 7:56pm. CID name = "Out of area" and CID number = +50622844870 (note that this is an eleven digit number with the plus sign prefix).

A pre-recorded message urged me to stay on the line. And why shouldn't I? They had attempted to call me many times unsuccessfully about the extension of my automobile warranty!

It only took a minute's worth of research to see that this was one of many (possibly spoofed) telephone numbers that have been associated with Costa Rican telemarketers on phishing expeditions.

There are numerous reports of these "robot calls" being made to mobile or land line numbers with the premise that: 1) your auto warranty is about to expire, 2) your auto insurance is about to expire or 3) you may lower your high credit card rates by talking to us.

Phone calls with similar CID info has been reported since May of this year. Since these calls are most likely made from outside the U.S., it doesn't make sense to file a complaint with the FTC. The fact that your phone number appears on the National "Do Not Call" list is meaningless to a scammer in Central America. The best way to handle such calls is to hang up. Don't ask who they are, how they got your number or similar question unless you wish to be hung up on first.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#20704 11/20/08 12:17 AM
Dagwood,

I have been hounded by these guys at home and work so much that I now try to waste their time… While I got you on the phone, I’d like to renew my warranty on all of my cars… what does your best policy cover? Credit card rates? Sure, I got me a Diner’s Card and a Microsoft Vista credit card… They usually hang up before I get all of that out.

My wife will ignore or hang up before talking to a “human”, I think that their software just call back later. I’m hoping that once connected, the person on the other end will notate that calling me is a waste of their time. My wife thinks that they will keep calling back eventually getting some information from the idiot (Me) that stays on the line.

JimmyV

"Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires. Even if it were, it would be of no practical value" Boston Post, 1865
#20705 11/20/08 12:47 AM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Tim, I'm like jimmyv. If I've got the time to waste, I do the same.

Once had a call about a Florida Vacation package. She went on & on & it indeed sounded like a good deal. When she started asking for my credit card number was when the fun began.

I insisted that it was against corporate & personal policy to give it out over the phone unless I called them & then then asked for her number so I could call her back. She couldn't do that so I suggested that she mail me the info with her contact info, so that she could get the credit for the "sale". She couldn't do that either. After about 20 minutes of this crapola, I signaled to my wife to call me on anther line, which she did. This was so my caller would hear a phone ring. Then I told her that I had another line and please hold.

I never went back to her but she stayed on hold for another 20 minutes or so. Guess she really wanted that "sale".

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#20706 11/20/08 01:52 AM
My favorite is the folks who leave an 800 number for you to call back on. If I'm in a particularly pissy mood, I program the voice mail system to call that number, stay offhook for 3 minutes and then repeat the process, all of this done after normal business hours. Let's see, 12 ports all calling that 800 number over and over for 12 hours and staying offhook for 3 minutes...yeah...let's hit their wallet for a change! Oh yeah, I leave 4 ports out of the outdial pattern so I can still take emergency calls!!!

#20707 11/20/08 03:50 AM
OP Offline
You guys are perfectly evil. I love it! I knew I could come here and get the support I was looking for.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
#20708 11/20/08 05:05 AM
When I read the number you posted, I remembered having received a call on my cell the other day - +50622717313. Not recognizing it, I just let it go to VM. haven't seen it again since, though.

Rob Cashman
Customer Support Engineer
#20709 11/20/08 06:06 AM
You could do what this guy did:

telemarketer

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#20710 11/20/08 07:05 AM
classic

Jay, a recovering IT guy
#20711 11/20/08 10:44 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Many long years ago, when you could get away with this, I got an 'anonymous' call from some young ladies (recognized the voice of the 16 year-old next door) asking about our 'bedroom' activities. I played them like a school of fish! Finally invited them over with a 'multple partners' suggestion, at which point, THEY HUNG UP! Then I called them back, (she was our babysitter) and suggested that they not do that any more, if they didn't want their folks to know about it. Told her that I had recorded the whole thing, and that scared her. (Kids were more gullible back then, I guess.) It was fun, but looking back, I suppose I could have ended up in the iron-bar motel! frown John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#20712 11/20/08 10:48 AM
Now thats funny :rofl: laugh :toothy: :banana:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 93 guests, and 235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024