web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Does anyone know of any software that can keep track of pbx and data equipment and their respective connections (cables and ports)? It would be nice to have it visually instead of in a spreadsheet format...

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
You could use Visio to make a diagram. Not sure about any programs that would do it automatically.

sph Offline
There is software that (sort of) automatically creates so-called "network maps". In order for devices and capabilities to be discovered, the devices have to support management standards (these days, almost all PBXs and KSUs worth their salt do, but not all of them by default. With end-user terminals such as phones and faxes etc the picture is more unclear. IP phones all support SNMP though). By far the most common standard is SNMP, now in version 3.
The downside is that management applications have a steep learning curve due to complexity. There is software that does just network mapping but in my experience the price is too expensive, might as well get a full management app and be done with it. There are freebies though. I've used the following:

The Dude from Microtik software. Nice maps with some configuration options. Version 3 is in beta, which seems stable. You can download version 2 otherwise.

Spiceworks version 2. This is a browser-based program. Like the Dude, it's free, but you gett banner ads.

Good luck.

I've spent the last two weeks (or most of it) going over network management and equipment record systems. The problem I found is that something simple almost always ends up being un-usefull. Something that is very usefull almost always ends up being overly-complex. There was no happy medium. It is somewhat understandable given the complexity of the task at hand.

I ended up using Nagios but my needs are somewhat different from yours. I was looking for a solution that could do active, passive, and SNMP monitoring of networks. It also had to be able to give me dependency and relationships up and down for incident ticketing. In other words, if it detects a problem with a server, it creates a ticket for just that server/client. If it detects a problem with a switch, it creates a ticket for the switch and all servers/clients attached to the switch.

Most of the stuff I know for mapping is equipment records in network monitoring programs. Don't really know of anything to parse an excel spreadsheet and make them.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'm with NFCPhoneman - Visio. It's especially useful diagramming complex circuits.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I also prefer using visio, but I've heard that Bentley Inside Plant is a nice program.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
We also use Visio.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Mike -

That (Bentley) looks pretty slick! Any idea what it costs? (Not that it matters - my days of buying that sort of stuff are long since gone, but still.....)

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I have no idea, Sam..but just from looking at the system requirements, it must cost a fortune. It's probably geared towards network planners, design engineers, etc.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
• Server: Multi processor or dual-core, 2GB RAM
• Operating System: Windows 2003 Server
• Workstation: Processor - Intel Pentium-based or AMD Athlon-based PC, 1GB RAM
• Operating System: Windows XP, Vista, MicroStation XM and Oracle Spatial
• Hard Disk: 200MB minimum free disk space
• Input Devices: Most industry-standard devices are supported. Works with output devices supported by Windows
• Video: Supported graphics card. Dual-screen graphics supported

sph Offline
Wow. Just looking at the PC requirements I very much question whether the program will even START with just 1 GB of memory. Microstation will just barely run on 1 gig. Oracle on top of that!? I assume these are minimums. I can't even imagine what installing all this complicated software will entail.
On the other hand I thought that Pete Largo was looking for something to keep track of equipment graphically. The Bentley software, as noted, seems to me like a design tool. Not that I wouldn't love to get something like that for Christmas...anybody? smile
Kumba, I've used Nagios too, but I think Pete would find he'd need to devote quite a bit of time to get up and running with it. I tried to suggest something simpler even if it's not as robust. As for monitoring, my personal favorite is Intermapper. It's not free. It's not cheap. But it does work as a charm. I started using it on Appleshare networks many years ago (anybody remember those?), and before they came up with a Windows version I used to tote an Apple laptop just for that - using it to get a look at all kinds of nets. There are addons for help desk, trouble ticketing, reporting etc, but its strength is in active realtime network maps and network flows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 120 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024