web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#208616 05/06/05 05:44 AM
OP Offline
I have a customer with an XTS System, that experiences calls that fade in and out. Happens on digital and analog stations. All equipment has been replaced including cabinet and CPU. Anyone had/seen this type of problem? any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
We have had this problem two times and both were attributed to high CO line loop current or voltage. Either the calls faded in and out or were just plain faint. We figured that there was something wrong with the system but after doing what you did, we finally determined that it was due to high loop current on the CO lines.

The first was a customer located across the street from the central office. The lines' loop current and voltage were designed for traditional copper loops where several thousand feet of cable loss could be expected. We measured the line voltage at 72 volts because the system was only 1,000 feet or less away from the CO.

The second was a customer located out in the country where a SLic96 was being used to extend dial tone. Here too, the voltage and loop current were extremely high, to the extent that the lines "squealed" when the phone was taken off-hook. This even occurred on the fax machine.

In both cases, the telco was not willing to do anything to help, mainly because they didn't understand what we were trying to tell them. We ended up using the loop current attenuators (the automatic ones) available from Mike Sandman Enterprises. We never had another complaint after that. These things are a bit expensive and I wouldn't use them on every installation, but they are well worth it, especially for sites in remote areas. I keep a few in stock, just in case.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
I went to the customer's site and checked the line voltage on all 9 of their lines. Results were the same for all of them:

on hook voltage was 44V off hook was 26 ma

I think that puts it outside of the parameters you described.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again and again,
~Chris

could also be a bad ground!!

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
How often is this happening? Have you been able to recreate the problem or just going by what the customer says? Are these lines coming through a channel bank? LEC or CLEC?

From what you have described it certainly sounds like a telco issues.

OP Offline
I have been able to duplicate the problem myself. Experienced the fading in and out while I was on hold with Vodavi Technical support. I fully agree that this is a telco problem. I was onsite with a Verizon tech for about 4 hours while he "monitored" the lines and tried to find the problem.

The lines are right out of the CO (about 1/2 mile away) and I thought that the voltage thing would be right on the spot to solve the problem but then actually taking the readings myself I realized that was not it (or probably not it).

It's not like my customer is calling me day in and day out about this problem but it's one that is still sitting in my on deck folder from an installtion that was completed during the Thanksgiving weekend of 2003. I am hoping to have the issue resolved one way or another before Thanksgiving 2005.

Come on y'all, someone has to have a good idea.

Thanks,
~Chris

So, does the problem happen on your buttset? On every line? Every time?

OP Offline
I haven't been able to sit on every line all day to monitor but both out going and incoming lines are having the problems so that would mean that lines 1-4 AND 9-5 are having the problem, so all of them.

~Chris

OP Offline
I put one of the line voltage regulators on line 7 and tied that to a station and had that person have all their incoming and outgoing calls go on that line and still the fade in and out problem.

Back to square one.

HELP

~Chris

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024