web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#217539 03/04/10 09:46 AM
OP Offline
Hi there. My system is a Vodavi 3500-01 StarPlus STS. We want to record a new voicemail message which seems like it should be very simple, but unfortunately it is not.

The message we want to change is for when the general voicemail picks up when no one answers the phone (not a specific extension). I believe this should be done through the attendant, but I don't think ours is setup this way.

The phone answers like this, it plays the message we need to change then it says something like "If you have a mailbox, enter your mailbox number now." It will not let someone leave a message after the tone. Our message has to say "you must press 8 to leave a message" for our customers to leave a message for us. Ext. 100's voicemail then picks up, you listen to that voicemail message and THEN you can leave a message.

I have no clue what the VMID is for the message we need to change. I do know that I can listen to the message if I dial 450, but it doesn't give me the option to login and change the message.

We hired someone to fix other problems with our voicemail, but unfortunately, he didn't really have a lot of experience with our system. He recorded the message we are now trying to change. Once he got figured out what he needed it to do, he wrote it down so we could change the message ourselves, but I think my boss might have thrown out the instructions. AND I can't get a hold of the guy.

I'm really sorry if this is confusing, but I really don't know what I am doing. Just want to change a simple voicemail message and I can't figure it out.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#217540 03/04/10 10:04 AM
If you terminal into the voicemail you should be able to see which mailbox is being used for the general voicemail. However, from your description I'm wondering if the original technician may have changed some of the default system greetings as well..

Don't suppose your system has a modem installed?

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
#217541 03/04/10 10:24 AM
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
It sounds like you have the flash voice mail. You can only rerecord your opening greeting via the administrator mailbox. Your vendor should have provided you with this information. This administrator mailbox is fixed and cannot be changed.

The STS flash voice mail will repeat the general announcement 3x and then transfer the caller to the attendant station.

Caller entered digits are programmed by the installer. Users control if the auto attendant transfers calls to their stations or direct to their mailbox.

Any technician trained in the Vodavi STS should be able to assist you but no one is permitted to post system access codes and passwords in this forum.

You may request private assistance from one of us here who is Vodavi trained. There will probably be a small fee but then you can obtain the information that you need.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#217542 03/05/10 02:27 AM
OP Offline
Thanks guys for the input. I don't know how to terminal into the voicemail at all or whether we have a modem. I have seen other people connect a laptop to the big grey Vodavi box, but I don't know how to do it and would be afraid of causing more problems.

I do think the original installer set up our voicemail strangely, but I have been told it did work properly once upon a time.

I don't think it's flash voicemail. It doesn't repeat the message at all. The message that our customers get on the main voicemail should be something internal (since it asks about having a mail box on the system) and was in fact what we contacted the new tech to change, but he was uncertain how. Shouldn't the main voicemail allow you to leave a message without having to transfer to another mail box?

Is there any way to find out what the administrator mailbox is without going back to the new technician? I don't think my boss is going to pay someone again for what this other guy already did.

#217543 03/05/10 08:01 AM
I don't think my boss is going to pay someone again for what this other guy already did.
So he wants free technicial support from one of us because he paid someone else? "That's poor form" said Captain Hook to Peter Pan.

While you ponder that, please check your original invoice to figure out which voice mail product you are using. We could go in circles all day otherwise.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

#217544 03/05/10 08:57 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Welcome to the board! smile

You're not getting a "main voice mail", you're getting a greeting. After the greeting plays through, the system automatically throws in the message, "if you have a mailbox on this..."

So, you shouldn't be looking to change a mailbox, but rather a menu. If you're going to do this yourself, you're going to need to get a system manual and read over the voice-mail section.

Please keep in mind that our forums are for end users to ask about features that would generally appear in the user's guide, not the admin system manual. A lot of people get upset when they hear us say this, but look at it this way: We don't really know who you are, or if you actually work for the company with the phone system. You may just be someone that wants to hack someone's voice-mail. None of us wants to be responsible for helping with that.

Hopefully, we can help you, but please understand if we can't.

#217545 03/05/10 10:36 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Shucks, I don't post directions to change system greetings on my own site and I have a lot of stuff there.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 77 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024