web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
itguyjc Offline OP
OP Offline
As an update to this situation; This is not always an offhook squak issue, many times it's just one phone calling another phone at random times. I have multiple people complaining that their phone will randomly just go offhook and dial another extension. No real pattern. My phone seems to like dialing extension 102 quite often, even while on the phone talking to someone else. One thought, I have a 100pair cable terminated between 2 buildings with a CIRCA fused grounding board at each end connecting my phones in Bld 2 with my phone system in Bld 1. It causes some strange issues sometimes. Could this be part of my problem? If anyone has any other Ideas, please let me know. Thanks again.

That's No moon, its a space station!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Ted Offline
This is not a good message. But I had the same issues with a customer. I tried everything I could think of to no avail. Finally lost the customer. I think the Problem was Emf or RF like Dave said, but I could never prove it.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
I have a 100pair cable terminated between 2 buildings
I would ground the unused pairs.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

I had a similar problem a few years ago. We ended up putting the problem phone on a shielded cable and have not had a problem since.

itguyjc Offline OP
OP Offline
Any suggestions on how to locate the problem phone or phones? There are multiple (10 or more) phones doing this.

Did you ground the unused pairs like Dave had mentioned? I always ground the unused at the equipment end. Somewhere in my life I was told to only ground one end. The equipment end is the best. I just automatically do it anymore.

If all of the problem phones are on the feed cable, then you have a ground issue at one end or the other. Could also be a distance problem. try to double-up pairs on one or more to see if it helps.

Hurry up and wait...
itguyjc Offline OP
OP Offline
The feed cable and punch boards are grounded in the remote building however, somebody forgot to put in a building ground for my phone sytem and cable feed to my main IT systems room in this building. I am trying to get maintenance or the building electrical contractors to come back and put in a grounding bar. That should go a long way to resolving this issue.

not sure if this is an option but if you have a water line in teh ceiling you can get a ground strap and run your own ground wire. Like #12 thhn.

Originally posted by tqillya:
not sure if this is an option but if you have a water line in teh ceiling you can get a ground strap and run your own ground wire. Like #12 thhn.
While that's true in some cases, many water line feeds are now plastic, so you need to make sure the line you're grounding to is not plastic. Also if there is a water meter you need to strap it out. You should common (bond) all grounds, otherwise you're looking for trouble.

Retired phone dude
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,111 Shoretel
187,716 CTX100 install
186,809 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, OBT), 57 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024