web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BradM Offline OP
OP Offline
We had some severe thunderstorms over the weekend and it appears that even with an APC UPS protecting the equipment, one of the lighting strikes was close enough that it erased/corrupted the program module. It won't boot, just keeps looping and flashing station 11 button every 4 seconds.

I've located a new KSU already, and it's in use, but the firmware is 1.0I 930216, and we were running 1.0Q 950828.

Does anyone have 1.0Q (or newer) copies of the firmware? I've got an eraser & burner that I can use to reprogram the EEPROMs.

Both old & replacement KSU are rev 2f motherboard, so I think the program modules should be compatible.

Rather than risk putting the new module into the old system, I'd rather re-burn it. I tried the old module in the new ksu (so we had more current firmware) - that's how I found out it's the module at fault and probably not the old KSU itself.

Any help welcome, but at least we're back up and running again - or at least limping along (still got a lot of programming to re-enter).

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
I don't remember there being any significant software issues with the old Flex system. I think you have nothing to gain.

On another note, you're rather lucky to find any replacement that doesn't have CO volume trouble. I finally gave up on those about three years ago because of endless trouble with refurbs.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Why keep something that is so old?

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Admin
Admin
Here's a math quiz, what's $200 x 10 plus $1000?

Now, how much was that "refurbished" Starplus 616 Flex from anywhere?

Some people don't have a spare 3K to swap out a KSU and phones.

Carl

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
That is true.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
BradM Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok. I guess if there aren't any significant problems with 1.0I, I'll leave well enough alone.

Any opinions on whether I should go ahead and get the old KSU repaired? (would they re-burn the prog module if it's dead?)

As to the reason for keeping it - Carl nailed it. $100 to replace the KSU vs $1000 base + ($200 * num phones) isn't much of a choice.

Thx for info all. At least the programming is all done and I've got a cheat-sheet for next time. (which hopefully won't be for quite a while)

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Repair, if available, will probably cost more than the $100 you paid for the replacement. AND the repair would probably only cover what is repaired!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
If you can copy the working eprom, just do it. That way you will have a spare should the exact same condition reoccur. Refurb equipment is usually just dusted off and wiped clean. if any testing is done, it is cursory. The few problems I ever had with those units were usually CO line ports going bad. Those were probably due to storms and line voltages.
As for the software revision, they are so similar that it isn't worth the concern.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Moderated by  EV607797, JWRacedog, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,572 Shoretel
189,444 CTX100 install
187,602 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024