web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#223453 03/27/07 02:30 PM
OP Offline
Our church has a Salta 616 system that was installed by a local company within the past 5 years... supposedly as a new KSU. We're not satisfied with it and plan to install a completely new system in our new office building to be built.

However, until that time, we would like to add voice mail to the system. Is there a Salta Voice Mail that is compatible with this system? I can't find any such animal. I've looked into VM aftermarkets that could interrupt the phone line before the KSU but that obviously causes several issues of its own.

Does anyone have any recommendations for either solution? I'm posting in this forum because it is one of the few that even has a mention of the Salta system. I've been able to find minimal documention of the system online and the original installer who only 5 years ago sang it's praises no longer supports it.

Thanks,
Chris Headley

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#223454 03/28/07 02:00 AM
Chris,

Salta is ATLAS spelled backwards, this means that KEY SYSTEMS US designed this phone switch. They do have a few types of flash memory voicemail systems for use. Check the web site, or you may be able to call KEY SYSTEMS US your self. 1-800-525-1904 then press 0. Hope this helps

#223455 03/28/07 02:01 AM
Admin
Admin
I have no idea what the Salta uses for VM but most any VM that uses analog ports will work with any system that has analog ports that except DTMF

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
#223456 03/28/07 03:23 AM
OP Offline
Thank you all for responding. I've been aware that Salta and Atlas were related and that Atlas does indeed have a voice mail system that would be appropriate for us, the AVM Jr., however, I can't find any documentation to indicate it is compatible with the Salta system. Instructions are only available for the Atlas IIE series which is nearly identical to the Salta 616. However, I'm also reading that Salta was an "entry level" KSU so I'm fearful that they may have intentionally crippled the Salta units.

Thanks for the contact info for Key Systems.

So you guys have any preference for a VM that accepts DTMF?

Thanks again

#223457 03/28/07 05:04 AM
OP Offline
Just to let you all know how much I appreciate the information, I've been looking for the answer to this question for over a year (on an on and off basis) and in only 1 day you provided me with a telephone number and therefore my answer. Also, hopefully this information will help someone else in my situation.

There is indeed a Voice Mail System for the Salta 616 called the AVM Jr. It indicates it is only available for the Atlas IIIE phones, however both Key Systems US and a secondary market (used, refurb) dealer have confirmed with me that the AVM Jr. will work with the Salta 616 with a couple of add ons. IF anyone ever needs to find a AVM Jr., just google for it and secondard market dealers, although rare, should pop up.

Thanks again

#223458 03/28/07 12:07 PM
Admin
Admin
Chris, it may be somewhat of a problem, but you might want to approach the problem from the end and work your way back.

How far out is the new building and what type of a phone system are you looking for? It might be better to replace your whole sytsem now than to throw money away on an analog voice mail system that might not migrate to the new one. Of course, you also might be able to find a smaller analog sytem, like a 2 port or used box that can do learning.

In the 6x16 arena, Avaya Partner and Panasonic systems allow you to mix single line and multi-line sets so you don't have the total initial expense of phones. Partner mail systems begin at 4 mailboxes. It might even be possible to hang the Salta on a Panasonic and let the Pana act as a PBX to the Salta :-)

Also, in passing, I have about 24 ports of Amanda (taa.com) voice mail cards that fit in an ISA bus PC that I might be able to be very competitive with. Automatic answer owes me anyway, so I think I can get you 4 ports and software at a reasonable price.

Carl

#223459 03/28/07 03:39 PM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
I agree with Carl. I would be very careful about the purchase of a VM for a Salta 616. You'll then have two pieces of equipment that will be somewhat worthless. Better to invest in a digital system now--with expansion capabilities--plus a small VM that can be expanded later. The Partner is just one of your choices. Are you the one that is going to install and maintain this system? Is the "local company" going to do it? Are you looking for another vendor in E.TN?

Think twice or three times before purchasing any used VM & extra Salta equipment that you will have to sell in a year or so. Good Luck.

#223460 04/11/07 04:26 AM
OP Offline
Thank you all for continuing to respond. Last week was Easter so phone system had to take a back seat.

I see your concern about adding onto what has essentially been a less than steller phone system with a substandard, used voice mail system. When I began this search, I really didn't think the search would be this difficult since the Salta 616 was supposedly installed new just a few years ago (before my time). My opinion is that we were probably taken by an installer who had an old "new" system lying around since I can find very little mention of this particular system any time more recent than the mid 90s.

The cost of the new phone system is already wrapped up in the estimates for the new building so I was just trying to avoid that complication. Since I work in a church, sometimes it's easier to wrap a larger expense into a great big number (new building) since it doesn't seem as large then. Crazy I know, but most non-profits seem to be that way.

We just felt if we could reasonably update the current system for our convenience for the next year or so that we would. At this point, we may just live without it. IT's just funny that we're a fairly modern church that heavily uses media and electonics in our services and classes and we don't have VM. Oh well.

Thanks again,
Chris Headley

#223461 05/29/08 04:53 AM
Do not be too hasty in condemning a system that was probably the least expensive choice, that met your needs, at the time that it was installed. Consumers will upgrade cell phones every few years, without questioning the old phones lack of features.
I have yet to find a customer that was forced to purchase a telephone system from anyone.
The Salta was introduced about 10 years ago, but we have seen them outlast many more expensive systems.
While we only installed a few of them, I can say that the systems that are out are still in service and have had no repair needs for the many years that they have been in service.
If you are going to purchase a replacement system, be very specific about your needs today and hope that you have the ability to foresee what will be available in the future. Technology is dynamic and change renders every system obsolete at some time.

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,848
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,658 Shoretel
189,554 CTX100 install
187,814 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Toner, tech3500, Skunky), 151 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024