web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Online Content
I installed a Comswitch 5500 on a wired Verizon 2 line ksu-less phone system, don't know model number. This has 5 phones on it, if I hook up more than two phones the line lamp lights. The voltage out of the Comswitch on the phone port side is 30 volts, this voltage doesn't drop as I add phones. I tried splitting the phones between the phone out port and the TAD out port no help, tried reversing the line, in and out no help. Presently I've removed the Comswitch. Comswitch tech support has never heard of this problem and says it must be a compatibility problem between that phone type and the Comswitch. I've only put this on SLT's and KSU's and never had a problem, but I've never tried putting them on a ksu-less system before. Has anyone else ever had or heard of this problem?

Retired phone dude
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Any chance the Comswitch is on the IC-C.O. shared line? Just a guess, maybe the IC carrier is messing with the Comswitch?

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
OP Online Content
Not sure what IC is but this is copper all the way to the C.O. and is an ILEC.

Retired phone dude
OP Online Content
OK I called tech support for The Stick. The Stick puts out 48volts idle voltage. I'm thinking the 30volts put out by the comswitch is just too close to the drop in voltage where the lamp lights and even a marginal drop will cause it. So if I can get my customer to agree I'm going to try the stick.

Retired phone dude
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I think that is going to be the only solution. As you know, two line phones are very funny about perfect line conditions. The idle voltage is one thing, but the off-hook voltage is where the real trouble begins.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Online Content
I'm thinking the same Ed. Since the stick is twice what the comswitch is my customer is thinking about it.

Retired phone dude
IC (Intercom). Yes the stand alone phones sometimes use second pair for IC etc.(FM etc ).

I think the circuit would ride outside the physical
wire itself but also could be your factor in getting
it to work.

Myself i don't know if i would invest any time in getting it to work 100 per cent, that is if you expect to get paid for your effort.

-TJ-
OP Online Content
Geesh, intercom didn't enter my mind, now that I re-read it, it's obvious (sorry Lightninghorse). Line two was the line in question, the ones I've seen the data and intercom ran on the 1st line. I'm sure that can vary brand to brand though. I did try frogging line one and two with the same results.
Myself i don't know if i would invest any time in getting it to work 100 per cent, that is if you expect to get paid for your effort.
Does that statement mean you've experienced trouble putting a fax switch on these non-KSU phone systems?

Thanks for setting me straight on the IC.

Retired phone dude
OP Online Content
I installed The Stick, it seems to be working fine. It sure appears to me it was the marginal voltage output of the comswitch.

Retired phone dude
Good for The Stick. If I had done this, "I/C CO line" it might have made some sense! Ya think? Sorry, my short-hand sometimes only makes sense to me! smile

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  metelcom 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024