web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#22603 07/24/09 06:10 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
There is really no need for circular hunting if all three lines are terminals. Since it is now impossible to call lines 2 or 3, the only time they'd ever be busy would be if they were hunted from line 1 being busy. This truly is a case of terminal or linear hunting, using terminals instead of physical numbers.

What is probably confusing this issue is the dual use of the word "terminal" to describe two different things.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#22604 07/24/09 06:16 AM
what would the purpose be to go try line 1...

If somebody jumped in the middle of the hunt group. Say they called line 2 or line 3, they were busy but line 1 was idle. That's not something that will happen here but does with regular numbers and CID that reflects them. Somebody hits redial and the call comes in on line 3 because they were called from line 3.

If you only have three lines someone redialing line 3 makes you effectively have only one line unless there is circular hunting.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#22605 07/24/09 08:40 AM
Originally posted by hbiss:
I think you are making a big deal out of this. Your problem is with AT&T. All you need to do is describe the problem and what you want to somebody with some intellegence. Tell them you want the lines to hunt from line one to line two to line three AND IT'S NOT FRIGGIN' DOING THAT! If the person that you talk to can't figure that out tell them to get a job with the cable company.

What you want is probably the most common hunting arrangement and is done at least a million times a day.

-Hal
Making the AT&T call and asking for the same old thing that is requested a million times a day defeats the purpose. You lose the service of transmitting a single number via CID which is what the guy wants to do and with good reason I might add.

#22606 07/24/09 10:33 AM
You lose the service of transmitting a single number via CID

Don't confuse the issue for the OP. Any CSR with any intellegence should be able to understand the hunting problem and keep it separate from the CID/ terminal issue. It's two completely separate things that are programmed separately. My advice is to keep escalating until you get to someone with a brain.

This reminds me of when I split up eight Centrex numbers. Four stayed where they were and four went across the street to a new office. Verizon got the new incoming hunt groups right for the two new groups but for some reason they could never figure out the 4 digit centrex hunting. Intercom or do a Centrex transfer across the street and if the line was busy it would hunt to the next line which happened to stay at the location that transfered the call. All lines were following the old hunt schedule as if they were never split for Centrex. I gave up on that one and turned it over to the customer. I doubt it was ever resolved.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#22607 07/24/09 12:46 PM
I don't think confusing the OP is going to happen. He is having a beer somewhere in Tulsa laughing with all his buddies because he was able to accomplish something with AT&T CSR that several so-called professionals in this business (with 20,000 posts between them) got confused over. :rofl:

I have wanted to institute a hunt group that sent out a single number in CID for years. I have laid awake at night wondering why this isn't easy and now I learn that it has been possible all along, all you gotta do is know the majic terminology and get in touch with a CSR that also knows it.

I sent a link to this thread to a friend that is a CO Tech to evaluate. He said yes this is possible but he does it so rarely that he has to dig out notes. :bang:

I sent a link of this thread to the customer I have that desires this the most. His response was: Great, so what is next? :bang:

In the words of Rod Bloggo: "This is friggin golden"

#22608 07/24/09 12:58 PM
Actually I have a customer with three terminal numbers. I believe it was done because the CO was running out of numbers at the time. They hunt fine (just like the OP wants), even to some regular numbers that were added after them later. Only problem I have with them is they all ANI the same so you don't know which is 1, 2 and 3. When I moved the customer to a new building I made sure Verizon tagged them 1, 2 and 3. Otherwise I would have to call them and see what order they hunted in.

-Hal

#22609 07/24/09 02:35 PM
In some parts of this area, Contel only offered hunt groups with terminals. The customer got one main number (always ending with a 1) and the terminals were designated B, C, D, etc. Their idea of a "good" business number was something like 2141. I think this had to do with reducing wear on their mechanical switches. Even after they changed them to DMS offices, they still maintained this policy.

The wouldn't allow for hunt groups with true separate numbers without a major extra charge. They also required that all numbers be in sequential order. If a customer had 2141 as their main number and they wanted it to hunt to a real number, 2142 had to be available. If not, the customer had to change their main number. I know of a construction company that waited four years for the next number to become available.

At the same time, Contel would give the good numbers, like 4000 to any average residential customer out of the hat for their modem line.

Once GTE took them over, this policy went away.

Wow, sorry for the sidetrack.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#22610 07/28/09 08:17 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
There was a time when 4000 was a LOUSY number! Pulse-dial days! That's why ending in '1' caught on. And old habits are hard to change. Which explains why it took a decade or so AFTER DTMF was widely deployed, before any old number was considered suitable. And people started trying to spell their company name, or product, or whatever.
And I still get a laugh when the grandkids bring a new friend in the house that needs to 'check in with home'. I direct them to the rotary dial Trimline in the kitchen and the grandkids spend 5 minutes explaining how to use it. smile John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 121 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024