web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#23340 12/16/09 07:18 AM
Mark K. Offline OP
OP Offline
I recently went the big screen HD route with Comcast Digital and the HD box. Now I want to add a DVD player and I have a few questions. I thought I wanted a Blu-Ray player but I can't find one that also records, I don't expect to be able to record in Blu-Ray but I would like to be able to record. Will I need two seperate players?

Is Blu Ray worth the extra? I'm assuming that a Blu-Ray player will also play standard DVD's right?

Also, I see a wide disparity in cost of the HDMI cables, is there a real advantage to buying the more expensive one? TIA.
Mark

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#23341 12/16/09 07:40 AM
Also, I see a wide disparity in cost of the HDMI cables, is there a real advantage to buying the more expensive one?
Everything that I have ever read on this subject says there is no difference. Since HDMI is digital it either works or it doesn't. There is no in between. With that said, buy the HDMI cable for a few dollars and expect the same performance as the $50 ones.

[Linked Image from phototiki.com]
#23342 12/16/09 09:44 AM
Mark I have never spent more the 10 bucks for an HDMI cable, digital is digital it either works or it does not. As far as blue ray...I think it is worth it...I do not know of any Blueray players that record.

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
#23343 12/16/09 09:46 AM
I think the only problem you are going to have with HDMI cables is when you need long ones- greater than 10 feet or so. Then it is best to spend the money because you are on the edge of what will work and cheaper cables won't deliver. HDMI can often have problems anyway depending on what it's connected to. That's not to say that you should spend hundreds, just stick with quality name brand stuff for a few dollars more.

Is Blu Ray worth the extra? It is if you want to watch HD DVDs which is what Blu Ray is all about as well as your HD TV. Standard DVDs are standard definition and can be played on Blu Ray players also. I expect that regular DVD players will be going the way of VCRs within the next year. Expect the prices of Blu Ray players to drop to what standard DVD players are now. I have actually seen some advertised that already are.

The problem with recording Blu Ray or other HD content is that THEY won't let you. So don't expect anything to record in anything but standard definition. I'll take your word for it that there isn't a Blu Ray player out there that will record but I'm sure that will change.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#23344 12/16/09 10:33 AM
Ditto on the issue of HDMI cables, as for a Blu Ray player....only you can decide if the $$ is worth it...I have only a few DVD's from over the years and I really don't buy many along the way, so for me a regular DVD with an up-conveter does the trick. If I were more of a movie fan and rented regularly and planned to purchase some along the way then a Blu-Ray would be worth the $$.
As stated above the longer you wait the cheaper they become.
I googled "Blank Blue-Ray" and hold onto your hats, very very ( did I forget to say VERY?) expensive, so it appears that you can burn DVD Blu-Ray disks on PC's. Weather you can burn a Blu Ray movie would depend on your willingness or ability to rip one but from an ISO standpoint, it looks like there are Blu Ray burners for PC's. FOr some reason and I'm guessing, I also see 4 GB blank Blu Ray which may suggest that you can burn standard DVD formats on your Blu Ray burner.

#23345 12/16/09 10:49 AM
In a survey by one of the CE magazines, HDMI cables from xxxxxxxx.com actually outperformed the more expensive "name brand" ones at the higher speeds and 1080P. I try to stay with at least 24 gauge anyway. The real issue is keeping them connected once they are installed. Blu-Ray players with ethernet adapters can do a lot more these days, including connectivity to Netflix. Netflix sends you a disk and then you can watch anything from their catalog. Why don't you get a Playstation 3? That's the best of all worlds.

#23346 12/17/09 03:08 AM
Mark K. Offline OP
OP Offline
bfd, interesting, never thought of a playstation, why would that be better? My kid has x-box. Would a playstation record standard DVD's and also play at the blu ray quality level? That's what I'm trying to find.

#23347 12/17/09 03:45 AM
A Playstation would not record, but it has a built in Blu-Ray player, and would PLAY standard DVDs. Did you get your kid "Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2" yet?

#23348 12/17/09 10:17 AM
Mark K. Offline OP
OP Offline
The day it came out! smile He makes me nuts. Otherwise he's a good kid. smile

#23349 12/17/09 11:27 AM
Mark, do you know that they sold 4.7 million copies on the first day? That amounts to $300 million in sales. No other media (film TV concert whatever) ever generated that much in one day. Not even "Titanic".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 13
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nonameyet), 106 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024