web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#244782 09/17/10 09:58 AM
OP Offline
We are using a Elite IPK II. 2 of our lines are running through the SLIB card over to another loaction with analog phones. We have had much static on these lines. Static is internal only, the caller cannot hear the static on the line.

While monitoring the lines from the D-Mark, the static and radio interference was eliminated when the SLIB card was removed. This leads me to belive the SLIB card should be replaced.

However, approximately 4 months ago we had the same problem, I ordered a SLIB card and replaced the cards. This did not fix the problem, so the cards were returned and we still have the original cards installed.

We also have a "main" fax machine running off of this card and have reported many problems with receiving faxes. "poor line condition" I am assuming this is due to the static/Radio interference.

What might cause the interference?
How to eleminate the interference?

I am perplexed and hope that someone may have run into a similar situation that can help point me in a direction.

Thank you,
NP

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#244783 09/17/10 10:42 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Removing the SLIB board would remove battery from the off-prem pairs and there wouldn't be enough power to hear any noise/static. (If there was, the noise/static with the SLIB board in place would make the line unusable.) What happens when you leave the board in place and check the audio with the connection to the other location disconnected. Noise gone? Not the NEC system.(You're going to need a butt/test set to check this.) Have you had a qualified NEC technician in to test and determine what's wrong? Sounds like you need to do that. (No offense intended)

My WAG? Either water/corrosion in connections/wire, or picking up reradiated radio signal that will require knowledgeable help to suppress.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#244784 09/17/10 02:08 PM
Tracking down radio interference is tough.

A certified tech may be able to cut down or eliminate interference with chokes or ferrite beads, or by improving grounding. One thing that will help is to find out what station you're receiving... can you make out the call sign / frequency? (i.e. KXYZ 1010 AM)? That will help the tech considerably.

#244785 09/20/10 01:01 AM
Mike Sandman has a great RFI troublshooting flowchart on his website.

#244786 09/20/10 06:55 AM
how are you connected to the other site

#244787 09/22/10 09:46 AM
OP Offline
An Authorized NEC repair technician has come out and beleives it to the "back board" and possible CPU. Do to the fact that the static is on all analog lines and we are having a 1 sec pause in all voicemails.

Without testing any part of the system, they have recommmend we upgrade to a new system.

I am having some difficulty finding another NEC authorized repair company in the area. Do you have any recommendations on how to locate a NEC authorized repair business?

If it is the "Back Board" and the CPU, would you recommend replacing the entire system or repairing it?

I appreciate the help. I am at a loss of where to turn.

Thank you,
NP

#244788 09/22/10 10:04 AM
The IPKII is not that Old, If he recommend's an upgrade it's because he can't figure it out. I would get another Vender. I Agree with Telephoneguy, a RFI filter should take care of it.

"The Only Stupid Question, Is the Question Thats not Asked."
#244789 09/24/10 08:29 AM
www.neccare.com, look under "sales and support" "find a dealer."

If should lead you to
https://www.neccare.com/contracts/associates.nsf/zsearch?OpenForm

#244790 09/24/10 09:01 AM
I had a similar problem with another system, I did not have an RFI filter with me so I used a DSL filter and that worked.

Measure twice, cut once
#244791 09/24/10 11:27 AM
Several things to start with... have all extra pairs leaving your facility been grounded? I would suggest grounding all extra pairs on one end of the cable. Make sure if you are using burial rated cable that the shield grounds are hooked up and installed correctly. Next Make sure that all grounds to the phone system are good and hooked up correctly. Take the front cover off of your IPK2 is there a metal shield installed on the inside of the cover, (there was a bunch that did not have the metal shield on the cover or some tech would remove the shield thinking it helped air flow through to cool the system. I would highly doubt that you have a bad backplane or a card that is causing the issue. I have found that newer techs are not as experienced with interference as older technicians that have been in the field longer. Older system where way more acceptable to interference and sometimes it took a lot of work to get radio interference out of equipment. Newer system have better Shielding and better grounding plus newer telephones are digital and radio interference has to be real bad to cause issues. Most every system I have came across lately with any type of radio interference it was coming from the CO trunks, Analog Ports, or handset cords. I would call your dealer back and find out if they have someone who may be more experienced that could help you. Selling you a new system is the best route for the dealer but should not be necessary, but you may want to consider the NEC loyalty program which is offering some really good discounts right now. But I suspect that even with a new system you will still have issues unless they find and fix the problem first.

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,856
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,663 Shoretel
189,571 CTX100 install
187,847 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Carl Navarro), 141 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024