web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hey all, really new here (1st post!!) and newer to phone systems.
I am a school teacher and also do IT support in my building. We have the NEAX 2000 system for phone and I don't think it is voip....everything looks to be hard wired/punch down block...(classroom phones/ceiling speakers for intercom)

They don't let me play with some of the toys in their building because I tend to get "creative" and of course most everything I do violates our "work order protocol policy" You know..."beg forgiveness rather than ask permission"...they hate that.

Anyway, I need to know how to add external music (NOT on-hold music) to the intercom system (ceiling speakers) I'm not sure the device is important?? headphone out jack will give me a signal, I just need to know SPECIFICALLY where to add the white wire and the red wire!!!
If it would be of any help at all, I can take some pictures of the wall mounted stuff....
thanks

Too old to be this useful...Too useful to be this old
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I won’t pretend to be a teacher if you promise not to pretend you’re a phone guy.

You do know that you can do permanent damage (read expensive) by messing with this stuff, right?

OP Offline
No pretending here....I am NOT a phone guy, but it just seems logical....

So, let me guess....your suggestion is...just leave it alone???

that doesn't solve my problem.

Too old to be this useful...Too useful to be this old
My suggestion would be to call a professional who knows what he’s doing.

Touch the wrong wires together, and your PBX and/or paging system could get fried.

I'm going to second DND ON:

You need to call the local NEC phone tech and get that looked at. There are solutions that will do what you want, but randomly screwing with it in hopes of making it work is a bad idea. Paging is tricky at best, and it's easy to "let the magic smoke" out of important components. Once the magic smoke is gone, they don't work anymore.

Connecting background music to your overhead paging shoudn't have anything to do with the phone system.

Somewhere there is a paging amp with mic inputs.

That equipment is maintained by someone, possibly your phone folks. I going to agree with above sentiments and say call the folks that you would call to fix the overhead paging system and explain what you want to do.

Usually the school's bell system and other things are connected to the paging equipment. If you don't know what you're doing there's a good chance you wish you had called them to start with.

D

I for one don't have a problem with you messing with the phone system!

Problem is it won't get you the result you want. The speakers are part of your PA system which the phone system accesses when needed. If you want music coming out of the speakers you need to find a spare input on that not the phone system!

And teacher logic does not apply to the 2000....

The IPS ran mostly on voodoo. I got so that I kept a bag of chicken bones by my desk...

I don't see why you need to touch the PBX. The speakers aren't running through the PBX. You need to find a MUSIC input on the Amplifier running the speakers.

Southern TeleData

Moderated by  ttech 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,722 Shoretel
189,760 CTX100 install
187,921 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024