web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin
OP Offline
Admin
I'm looking for software that will let me cut and paste between computers on the same LAN. Anyone know a good program preferably cheap.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Cut and paste what? I do it with files and folders all the time if that's what you are talking about.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Drag & drop to the shared documents folder is what I do - or are you looking for something much more complex?

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
In the event that you're not talking about files and rather text selections or graphics, Remote Desktop/Terminal Services support this as well as a wide variety of other remote desktop type of clients.

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
Admin
OP Offline
Admin
Yes it is text and graphics etc. that I want to copy from one computer and paste it into doc on the second computer. I would also like to copy stuff from web site on 1st PC and paste the info into doc on 2nd PC.

Merritt

Sam, if you make the C drive shared it will come up on another machine just as if it was on that machine. You can drag and drop from one drive to the other, delete files and folders, etc.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Merritt, that's easily done by pasting into something like a Word doc, copying to the other machine then opening it there and pasting to wherever you want it. That's for text, of course if it's a graphics file just copy it. Then again there is nothing to keep you from having Word for instance open a doc on another machine across the network.

You make it sound like the first computer is unattended or somebody elses.

-Hal

Merritt -

In this case, as Ampleworks pointed out, remote desktop is probably your best friend.

Essentially you'll log into one PC from another, and it will appear as you are actually sitting in front of the second PC. From there, you just highlight the text/graphics you want to copy, hit Ctrl-C, then "go back" to the first PC and hit shift-Insert (there are other key combos that will work as well, I've just always used these).

This does require some configuration though, and it does depend on what version of windows you are running. I'm guessing you're running windows XP. Now, is it the home or business edition?

Merritt -

I've gotta sign off for the night, but assuming you're running XP business here's an article that will walk you through the configuration. If you have the time, I highly recc. remote desktop, it comes in handy for a lot more than copying/pasting stuff.

If you're running XP home edition, you'll need to go with Hal's suggestion, as I don't believe XP Home supports remote desktop.

Remote Desktop

An alternative to Hal's suggestion would be to just mail the text/graphics to yourself.

Update: you might have a look at this page for 3 other options to solve your problem:

Other options

Best of luck,
Matt

Admin
OP Offline
Admin
I know that I can cut and paste into a shared folder but I was hoping to find something that would make it work like a dual monitor setup but with the monitors on different PCs. I would like to be able to highlight something on one PC, scroll mouse over to second monitor and directly paste it into doc on second PC.

Merritt

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,701 CTX100 install
186,789 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 110 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024