Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#25378 03/17/11 08:51 AM
OP Offline
Hi (again)

I have a Western Electric rotary buttset in Orange. It has a strange leed setup, and since a photo is worth a thousand words, I will let the photo speak for itself.

[Linked Image from i83.photobucket.com]

The connector has two very tiny lugs on them (even though they look like plugs in the photo, the are actually lugs). About a foot or so from the buttset is a connector that will connect the buttset to the leeds.

My questions are thus:

first, is the connector a WECO product or did somebody 'customize' this?

Second, it would be nice to use this with my phone endevors, but it is sorta hard to use tiny lugs on punchdown blocks or screw terminal blocks. Were there special aligator clips that were attached using the lugs?

Third, I have heard, but do not know the truth of the matter about buttset color. I have the orange one, but I have seen blue and yellow as well. Was this for the tech's preference or was there a color code as to useage?

I like the old Weco stuff, even though I will probably get myself a modern Fluke unit (the low end one that is only for POTS lines), but it will be TT capable. However, for the "phone barn" museum and working on dial switches etc, I will use the Weco rotary sets to keep in character, if you will.

Best,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#25379 03/17/11 11:11 AM
Joe, nice find!! The cord on that buttset is what is known as a CO [Central Office] cord. The plug/jack assembly near the bottom of the buttset allowed switching the "business end" of the cord for different uses: there were plugs/clips/what-have-you that would connect directly to a main distribution frame and/or CO protector block [usually on the MDF], there were cords for ground-start line testing, there were even cords with the 310 plug we were talking about earlier.

Surf on over to Aines to see all the different kinds of cords. They also have the "bed-of-nails" clips that a typical field buttset would have, if you want to convert your set.

I'll leave the color question to someone else, I too would like to hear the "inside dope" on that.

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

#25380 03/17/11 12:45 PM
It's a model 1014. The field one without the interchangeable cords was the 1013. The two little lugs were used to attach the leads to a 310-type plug. I can send you a plug that will work on it.

The orange test sets were the last of the four colors to emerge. The first ones were dark blue, then a lighter blue, for field work. The yellow ones were for CO/PBX work, and generally had the plug/connector as yours does. Then the last ones were orange for either application.

The real early ones had two distinguishing features: A TALK/MONITOR switch that was concave, instead of convex. It was almost impossible to operate with a gloved hand. The other feature was a thumb warmer in the guise of a large wire-wound resistor in the talk circuit that would overheat and melt the plastic switch handle.

Back in the wacky 1970's when they were first introduced, guys would take two sets and marry dissimilar colored halves to make a psychedelic version.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#25381 03/17/11 02:36 PM
OP Offline
Hi Arthur,

That would be very cool! I even have the screwdriver for the hole in the head screws! (My type of fastener... hole in the head)

I will PM later tonight.

Thanks,

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
#25382 03/18/11 12:36 AM
Arthur your last comment made me think of when I was at GTE, or then it was General Telephone. They would have a sales contest. we had one guy that would always win. He would sell more than all of us combined. I started to see why, we had the Automatic Electric styleline and it came in a bunch of 70s colors. he was mix matching them and calling them the tootey fruity Phone, electric blue base, pink rtl. cd candy apple red handset, orange line cd. We didn't have a chance!

#25383 03/18/11 07:22 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
GeeRay, I worked for a Code-A-Phone dealer from 1973-89. We took a bunch of telco only CAP's in trade, for 1500's, that were built using a proprietary tape drive and electronics + a trimline handset, and a base less it's cover. The base mounted inside the CAP housing and the top on the left side was trimline base cover shaped. Any how, I latched onto a pile of them, they were headed for the dumpster, and ordered base covers and handset backs from North Supply. 'Ice cream sandwich' had a brown base cover, white handset face and brown handset back. And the green, yellow, and blue became other weird combos. Sold like hotcakes at my 'garage sales'!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#25384 03/18/11 08:20 AM
The "ice cream sandwich" that sounds like a classic. Now days you can have it in black or black.

#25385 03/18/11 02:14 PM
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
I have one of those old black butt sets in the closet somewhere. My dad gave it to me when he retired. It had the little points on the rotary dial, and you pretty much had to use a pick to dial the damn thing. Alas, the rotary only feature made it pretty unusable for anything more than a antique.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
#25386 03/18/11 02:18 PM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Same here, Zane.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#25387 03/18/11 02:36 PM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Originally posted by Z-man:
I have one of those old black butt sets in the closet somewhere. My dad gave it to me when he retired. It had the little points on the rotary dial, and you pretty much had to use a pick to dial the damn thing. Alas, the rotary only feature made it pretty unusable for anything more than a antique.
"pencil dial" , Ive got a couple of them around I liked them becouse they where lighter and more compact than the BECOS I was using pre ts-21

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,397 Shoretel
189,127 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024