web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hey Folks, Hoping to get some insight into this problem I had with an Adtran HDSL circuit. The sucker has got a new doubler, new smartjack, and no apparent cable issues. Not even any bridge tap (I NC'ed it to cable and the cable tech found it had already been cut off). Anywho.....it always passes QRSS yet it will fail 1 in 8, all0's and all1's. BUT it seems to pass one of these 3 patterns, then fails the next intermittently.I gave up and patched to the spare. I'm new to specials (4 months) but I've never seen this before....any ideas?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
All 1's will stress-test a repeater. So it could be bad if you get failures with it.

QRSS isn't a very stressful pattern like the other ones are, so seeing no errors when testing with it isn't unusual.

Failing All 0's and/or 2^20 could indicate something is optioned AMI rather than B8ZS.

I Love FEATURE 00
OP Offline
like I said, new doubler, new smartjack. Could it be the office repeater, even though it test ok?

Online Content
You said you patched to a spare. Is it good on the patch? If so something in your original circuit is bad.

Like Dex said failing all 1's indicates a bad repeater. The only thing all zero's should be used for is confirming B8ZS. Change the repeater and test again.

I don't know what the 1:8 pattern is for.

QRSS was used to simulate real T-1 traffic and was low stress as Dex pointed out.

Retired phone dude
Where's it failing at...r-card, doubler, or c-card? Not sure how your circuit is designed but get a tester, or if you have test access, start by looping the c-card from the dacs or closest dsx, and stress test the circuit with pattern T1 Daily or 55 Octet. If it passes, loop the doubler and if that passes go for the r-card. This should give you an idea about what section of the span is bad.

Also use the PM data. The Adtran cards pretty much record everything and if you can decipher the info it will give you a clue as to where to look. If it is a model that has the Tscan feature it should have a bad slice detector under the troubleshooting menu... it will give you the distance to the bad splice. Sometimes it is right on, other times you need to give or take a few hundred feet.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
We used QRSS to stress test the PHYSICAL portion of the job (jacks, cable connections, patch cords, etc.). All '1's verifies that the circuit will pass AMI and as Dex and Bill said should stress the repeater and all '0's is used to prove B8ZS.

1 in 8, 3 in 24, 2-20 are all miscellaneous stress tests. It sounds to me like the circuit has some of it's repeaters or circuit boards wired wrong. Maybe some parts wired for AMI and others for B8ZS, maybe the LBO is wrong.

You're going to have to break the circuit down into pieces and check each part. Use standard troubleshooting techniques- go to the midpoint of the circuit and test back to the source. If that works/fails then keep going to the next midpoint till you find the bad segment.

ANY circuit should pass all '1's. If it won't pass that don't bother with anything else till you can get that part working.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
I think that the "all 1's stresses a repeater" rule only applies to a real T1 span using 239 style repeaters (which were essentially analog dc op-amps). The OP said it is provisioned over HDSL, which is completely different - all 1's produces a signal on the span that is really no different electrically than any other data stream.

Just my 2 cents... [sorry, haven't run my jaw in a while]

Jim
From a bunker in the hills of Pennsylvania

What is a doubler?

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
OP Offline
Doubler-Hdsl Repeater

When swapping out parts were you able to switch shelf/slot positions in the C.O; repeater housing and cust-prem housing? Backplanes and breakout wiring can do be failing too.

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024