web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#262676 04/24/01 05:21 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anyone know how to network aol dsl. The dummies at aol don't know how. We are using a Speed Stream Alcatel USB Modem. We would like to network 2 more computers to share DSL (not files).

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#262677 04/24/01 06:35 PM
RIP Admin
RIP Admin
telthesky
For each person on the network to get out at the same time they will have to have there own IP address or else only one person at a time will get out.
Most DSL providers will give you your own Gateway and IP address and you can add more IP's to your account for a price per IP. I have 4 users with there own IP's and they charge me $1.97 per extra IP.
You need to edit your AOL connection and change it to DSL and take your dial up connection off or it will look for it first.
Add your two new users to the hub, but be sure not to plug anything into the port next to the UPLINK,It should be unused and your DSL should be plugged into the UPLINK.
Let me know how it goes
dtmf

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
#262678 07/12/01 06:38 AM
telthesky
Since you list it as an Alctel modem, I am pretty sure that you are limited to one user unless you by some fancy software from Lantastic or Norton that will allow modem sharing but it is pricey and slows down the main computer. The better method is to upgrade to a DSL router such as a Cayman or iNtel. THese both allow spoofing of 10 to 256 users depending on the model. Some even support DHCP so all you have to do is plug in the other computers, Mac or PC. The way they work is the router stores the domain information provided by the ISP/Telco and then You either use DHCP or a false network on your side. At home I have a rather cheap router so I had to program each computer with a false domain. Most guys I work with use 10.10.10.xxx even though we all know that Coke uses these for internal id's. As long as you don't do business with Coke it works fine. Each computer would get a unique address within this false domain and then the Router "spoofs" the address by stripping your 10.10.10.xxx out and then sending your internet information using the IP address as porvided by the ISP/Telco.

Happy trails.

Data
#262679 07/31/01 07:20 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by telthesky:
Anyone know how to network aol dsl. The dummies at aol don't know how. We are using a Speed Stream Alcatel USB Modem. We would like to network 2 more computers to share DSL (not files). </font>

Best Buy has a linksys around 79.00
SMC 69.00

#262680 04/25/02 11:59 AM
CHECK WITH The provider for IP addresses. Frontier dsl allows you to use only a cheap hub, ip address is pulled from DHCP server at NO CHARGE. That is one for the DSL and one for each PC. Otherwise use a linksys box ROUTER. $ or 8 channel. Works right out of the box...make NO adjustments to it. Go to start, run type winipcfg in window, make sure your nic card is showing, do a release all, then a renew all. Your addresses should start with 192

The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask as that is the question that can make or break you. Brad
#262681 04/25/02 01:07 PM
Many may tell you AOL is of the devil...
Often times you can give the IP addr to your router, and have the computers use DHCP.
Best Buy is good, Buy.com is also has great prices on Lynksys.
We are running a Lynksys Router/Wireless Hub, couldn't be easier to use/install.

Devin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 122 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024