web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello everyone:

We had some major renovations in our school's library over the summer, and right now, I'm rewiring everything for computer. Everything has been fine until I ran into a problem this morning, and for the life of me, a solution is not coming to my mind, because I'm not sure what the problem is. Here's the situation:

1. Cat5 cable begins in the basement via patch panel, and goes up to the library.

2. I terminated the cable and put a data jack on the end of it, then mounted it in a surface mount box.

3. When I plug a straight-through cat5 cable into the jack, everything works great - can brose the Internet, an IP is assigned via DHCP, etc. This tells me that the jack is working fine.

4. The next step was to take a straight-through cable with one end in the jack, and plug the other end into a Dell PowerEdge 2324 24-port switch. I have a light showing link and status.

5. When I try to plug a PC into any port on the switch, it can't find the DHCP server, and I get the "limited or no connectivity message".

6. I also tried a Linksys 16-port workgroup switch (I know that this one works for sure), and got the same results.

7. I know that a crossover cable would provide no help here, but for grins, I made one and tried that on both switches as well - no dice.

What on earth am I missing here? I did this very same thing in a few offices, and everything went as expected; am not sure why this is causing problems. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

-Michael/AdemcoWisc

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

What is this plugged into in the basement? Are you in an uplink port? what port on the Dell switch are you plugged into from the wall?

First question is what WRichey asked. What type of switch are you plugged into and what port. uplink, standard, Auto uplink?

Are you getting a link light on the switch when you plug it in?

Have you hard coded a port to be 100mb full duplex or is it auto negotiate.

some times there is a problem with negotiation between switches.

Next would be how many switches do you have plugged into the one down stairs already?

5 or more/ 5 or less.

In some intances it can cause issues.

All In One Communications
Mustang, OK
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Also, try disabling the NIC card in the control panel and then re-enabling it. I have to do that sometimes with my laptop when I plug into different switches.

If either of your switches do not have auto negotiate built in then you must use the uplink port on one of the switches (not both) or build a cross-over cable.

Samsung Dealer
www.firstcoastbiz.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 183 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024