web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
whynot Offline OP
OP Offline
Since Cisco/Linksys tech support seems to be just reading their script I was hoping someone on here might be able to help me out.

I have an old Linksys WRT54G that I'd like to setup as a WAP on my porch so I can get a decent signal outside of the house. The problem I'm having is I can't even get to the router's GUI to change the settings. I have it hard wired to just this pc and it works fine (I'm using it now), but when I type in 192.168.1.1 I get a "the connection was reset" page. I get the same message with the router only connected to the pc. When I do an ipconfig/all, I get a default gateway of 71.58.50.1. I tried entering that and I get the same message. I can ping that default gateway WITH the router connected to my modem, but can not ping it when the router is disconnected from the modem. It's almost like the router is using the modem's IP as its default gateway.

Is this possible and does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks! Kevin

Oh and I've reset the router quite a few times but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Can you default the router? Does it have a recessed "reset" button on the back somewhere? Wait a minute! What kind of modem? I would not think a modem could be like a router, simply a "bridge point" to convert the signal from the ISP to the router.

Old Linksys router. About how old? Has it been in use for a long time? It is possible that the firmware or something else is buggered up. You could try reflashing it to the latest firmware version and see if that fixes the problem. If you cannot flash the device, then I would say it has given up the ghost. Without a jtag cable, it's not worth fixing, especially given the cost of new home consumer end wireless routers selling for less than $40.00 with better features (802.11N for instance).

Try typing 71.58.50.1 in your browser. Also try https://71.58.50.1 and https://71.58.50.1. Also try using different ports such as https://71/58.50.1:8080, https://71/58.50.1:81, and https://71/58.50.1:8088.

Maybe this router is not routing but is set up to function as a bridge. Get a free network scanner like Angryziber and see what is on your subnet. Enable port scanning for ports 80 and 443. This will tell you which devices are running a web server or web-based admin program. Then browse to each web server in your subnet.

But the best idea is still to either reset the router or throw it out. The Linksys website will tell you exactly how to reset your router. You generally need to find a small recessed button and hold it in with a paper clip while you repower the unit and for a minute or two afterward.

Vaya con Dios amigos!
Butch
whynot Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all of the ideas!

After messing with it for a little longer I gave up. I recently switched to cable for my internet and had the old dsl modem/wireless router combo sitting here so I decided to see if I could get that to work. It took a bit of messing, but I now have a good signal outside.

Butch, I haven't tossed the old one yet so one rainy day I'm gonna give your ideas a try. I don't like to be defeated. ; )

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
you might look at doing a linux flash too. I did on an older linksys and its working fine.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
You have to hold the reset button in for 30 seconds to set the router back to default.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Sounds like the cable modem was plugged into the LAN side of the router.

If the modem was plugged into the WAN port and you have already done the factory reset, then I would vote for a malfunctioning router.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (pvj), 163 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024