web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#264934 08/21/11 02:14 PM
Rover88 Offline OP
OP Offline
I sent a friend a setup to run fiber from his house to his detached garage. Along with the terminated fiber, I sent him 2 Digi MIL-140 media converters. I tested the setup completely before I sent it to him, and he installed everything with no problem. Shortly (2-3 hours?) after his system was up and functional, it locked up on him.

The MIL-140 in the garage is showing a "Collision UTP" red light (which I guess would be losing link on RX), while the one connected to his router (D-Link DIR-655) is not showing any collision.

Should we set the dip switches 2 & 3 on the second unit (garage) to the down position? I can't recall ever having to mess with the dip switches on these, but it's been a while since i worked with them.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'm gonna let this one simmer for a day or two and see if someone with specific experience answers you or not.

In the meantime, my suggestion is to chase that UTP demon. We all know what TCP's job is and UTP doesn't have the same responsibility.

The other thing to worry about, of course, is what you pushed across on your bench test versus what's really going on in this customer's LAN. I know you're not gonna belive this, but I had a customer called Robertson's Ready-Mix that still had old Windows 95 machines on their network that were broadcasting IPX packets. And this was only like five years ago!

I'd play with dips for a minute and then put WhatsUp Gold or other sniffer in promiscuous mode and find out what the traffic looks like.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
make sure your speed and duplex as setup correctly on both sides.

eg. if your media converter is setup to auto make sure the equipment connected to it is set to auto. if it's hard set to 100 full make sure the equipment connected to it is also set to 100 full. typically you see collisions when there is a speed/duplex mis match.

Race Communications | http://www.race.com
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Look at the note on page 5 about the DIP switches.

ftp://ftp.milan.com/pub/MCSys/manuals/man140RM.pdf

Just curious but why did you install 10 meg converters?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, Toner), 102 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024