Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Well..comcast does it again. When I signed up with them I was told I could get a static IP for a few buck a month. They had my bill screwed up for 6 months so I was waiting to get that resolved before I ordered my static. Now it is not available. I mainly wanted a static IP so I could do some testing and configuration of remote phones on a couple of test systems. Now I am not sure what to do. How have you guys dealt with this?

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
I had one remote site that didn't have static so I added a modem to dial into. I would dial in and do a IP address lookup to find the current IP and then log in with that.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
I don't understand that at all. The support people at Comcast here can really be stupid at times...sometimes you just have to get someone who knows things. I just can't imagine that they don't have the ability to give you a static IP address. I think here, they give out multiple static ip addresses for a fee. It just doesn't sound right, Z. But maybe it's just different where you are.

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
Is this for your office or home? If so I assume you have a pc running at all times. Go to www.no-ip.com sign up for a free DDNS account and download and install the client. Youll be able to use a DNS name that will automatically update to whatever your IP address is. For example you might use telephones.bounceme.net. Ive been using No-IP for 8 or 9 years now.

https://www.no-ip.com/

What Tito says.

I've use another similar service in the past. The name escapes me now, but the idea is that you take the dynamic address that your isp gives for your current connection. Use the DDNS service (dynamic DNS) program to keep track of whatever address you get,and it will match it up with your faux domain name.

Jim

I use a thin client that text messages me anytime my (residential) ip address changes. I believe its hosted by opendns.org.

But back to the the orginal problem. Is your account with comcast; business or resi? Most cable companies will not give out static ip for resi accounts, for obvious reason. On the up side, my address rarely changes. I had a cox ip for nearly three years before it changed.

Z-man Offline OP
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
OP Offline
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Originally posted by rustynails:
I use a thin client that text messages me anytime my (residential) ip address changes. I believe its hosted by opendns.org.

But back to the the orginal problem. Is your account with comcast; business or resi? Most cable companies will not give out static ip for resi accounts, for obvious reason. On the up side, my address rarely changes. I had a cox ip for nearly three years before it changed.
thats interesting.. I should monitor the address and see how long it stays the same.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
Why worry about monitoring the address? It can and will change. Setup a dynamic DNS client and you wont have to worry about it again. Also don't worry about setting up something that will text or email you the IP address change. Its a lot easier to use a DNS name that automatically gets resolved to the new address. This way you only have to remember your domain name and your all set.

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
Install logmein free on your home PC.
At anytime you can remotely log into your PC then either check your router status or see what comes up from www.ipchicken.com

-Ken in MD-
www.kyawacomm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,279
Posts638,739
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,291 Shoretel
188,177 CTX100 install
187,020 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
teleco 4
jc2it 4
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (sk), 102 guests, and 89 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024