Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#26860 03/11/12 05:35 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
OK, the first thing I'm going to say is that anyone that 'blows off' the T1 requirement with 'sure, it's just a PRI', probably doesn't realize what's going on here. ALL the 'overhead info about 'FXS should ring', 'far end is off-hook', etc, is carried within the channel that it applies to, in a T1. In a PRI, all that data is in the 'D' channel. "Something" will have to move the info to the correct 'channels' to convert PRI to T1. And of course combine it correctly when moving from T1 format to PRI. It can be done with an ASTERISK PBX, but you would be adding yet another layer of trouble and finger pointing.

If this were my job/sale, I would confirm that all connections to the existing PBX had a connector of some sort, rather tha a wire soldered someplace. Then I would arrange my NEW PBX cabling in such a way that I 'UNPLUG' The cross-connect field from the old pbx and plug it into the new pbx. If I can't get it up and reliable overnight I take the last 2 hours of downtime to bring the old pbx back on-line and sit down, lick my wounds, and figure out what went wrong! This should NOT BE A CHEAP INSTALL! This will require a GREAT DEAL of planning and forethought. The low bidder ..... well, I'm not going to say it.

And your plan, though good, is not really do-able in my book.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#26861 03/24/12 02:15 PM
OP Offline
Lightninghorse

You of course are absolutely right about the difference between T1 E&M with it's channel asociated signaling and 23B+D PRI.

Most of the vendor's and my own engineers at least seem to realize they don't work the same.

Their confusion seems to come from the fact that our PSTN access is PRI. The PBX we have does not do PRI. We convert the PRI to T1 E&M using an Adtran Atlas 550. An Asterix or other device would do the same. So that layer of confusion is all ready in place. :rolleyes:

BTW, I am not at all confused as to how my system works. I did the upgrade and conversion to the PRI PSTN interface through the Adtrans. I configure and maintain this phone system daily. I love my system. smile

Sounds a little like I need a life outside work?

On to your next paragraph.

All the T1 connections to the PBX terminate on a DSX. From there they are copper cross connected to DACS T1 ports which also terminate on a DSX.

The two PRIs terminate on a DSX and are connected to the Adtran ports which are also terminated on a DSX.

The new PBX will have all T1/PRI terminated on a DSX. They will be cross connected to DACS T1 ports terminated on a DSX.

This gives us plenty of monitoring and patching capability to accomplish the same thing as plugging/unplugging using bantam type patch cords.

This will not be cheap but may not be as costly as you think since the DSX and DACS T1 ports all ready exist as part of our system.

The actual connection of the T1s to the existing system is almost trivial. The question of if the new PBX can toggle the right bits on the T1 at the right time to make phones ring or get dial tone seems to be unanswerable. :shrug:

#26862 03/24/12 02:24 PM
OP Offline
All of this from a question about a definition.

Thanks to all for the definitions.

My apologies to all for taking this to a topic that likely belongs under upgrades. Or maybe the T1 thread.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,624 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 116 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024