web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
roni Offline OP
OP Offline
I am using a comdial DXP. When our phones lines are full, and a user goes to pick up the phone to dial out, instead of getting a busy signal, he gets an incoming call, or picks up in the middle of an existing conversation. It is like it does not distinguish between an available line, and one already in use. What can I check to troubleshoot?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

In order to pickup an existing conversation you would have to have Privacy release turned off. By default it is on, so at some point some one wanted that feature. That being said, it wouldnt just break into a call when you are using idle line pickup. What type of lines are you using? Picking up an incoming call (Glare) is always a possibility if you pickup a line at the same moment a call is coming in. if the call had been ringing then you users shouldn't have picked up that call unless they are setup to ring and answer that call. You could turn off ringing line preference to test that. Is your system setup to pick an idle line when you go off hook, or do you need to dial 9 or press a button?

[This message has been edited by OhioTelecom (edited April 20, 2005).]

roni Offline OP
OP Offline
We have both conditions where the user can pick up and dialout (management) and the regular joe users who much dial 9. The problem occurs on both. I have not been able to reproduce the problem, so I am relying on the users ability to describe what is happening, so they may be confused, but multiple people are telling me that they will press nine to dial out and hear no tone. This will prompt them to say "Hello?". A confused dialer on the other end responds with, "Is this RCI?". So it is not even going to the receptionist first.
I have gone through many settings and the only thing I did find was that line 8 (recently added)was not programmed completely. Could it be that the first seven lines were occupied, and then someone would call in on line 8 and the system would not know what to do with it?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OhioTelecom:
In order to pickup an existing conversation you would have to have Privacy release turned off. By default it is on, so at some point some one wanted that feature. That being said, it wouldnt just break into a call when you are using idle line pickup. What type of lines are you using? Picking up an incoming call (Glare) is always a possibility if you pickup a line at the same moment a call is coming in. if the call had been ringing then you users shouldn't have picked up that call unless they are setup to ring and answer that call. You could turn off ringing line preference to test that. Is your system setup to pick an idle line when you go off hook, or do you need to dial 9 or press a button?

[This message has been edited by OhioTelecom (edited April 20, 2005).]
</font>

Was this an issue prior to line 8 being installed? If not I would say start there, figure out in programming whats different. Hard to give you advise at this point not knowing all the details.

Also, as you probably know from your network experience, you can't (usually) rely on end user descriptions of the problem. The first rule of troubleshooting anything is to figure out how to reproduce the trouble. Once you've accomplished that, it shouldn't be to hard to isolate the cause.
You should also complete your profile with an email address and the web address of your company.
mark

------------------
Reliable Telephone Service

roni Offline OP
OP Offline
A lot of things happened during that time. We moved to a new location, (the switch was disconnected fro the previous location and hooked up at the new one), we changed carriers, and added the line. But, I am fairly certain that unprogrammed line 8 was it. Tomorrow will tell. Thanks so much for your response.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OhioTelecom:
Was this an issue prior to line 8 being installed? If not I would say start there, figure out in programming whats different. Hard to give you advise at this point not knowing all the details. </font>

roni Offline OP
OP Offline
I will do that. Thanks for the advice.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by markk:
Also, as you probably know from your network experience, you can't (usually) rely on end user descriptions of the problem. The first rule of troubleshooting anything is to figure out how to reproduce the trouble. Once you've accomplished that, it shouldn't be to hard to isolate the cause.
You should also complete your profile with an email address and the web address of your company.
mark

</font>

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024