web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
No problem. I have been working on computers since the 1980's. I still have an Amiga 500 up and running..lol. I usually build all my machines (btw Tiger Direct is very cool). I actually have 7 computers setup in my house running everything from os2/warp4 to linux mandrake. I have to do this anymore to stay in the game on telephone stuff. Luckilly I have already been in the PC world.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Wheels, I didn't mean to offend you. What I'm saying is that the Internet and especially BB's like this are great tools, but I believe there is no substitute for experience (I have only been doing this 26 years and still learning). You are not going to find all your answers on this or any other board. Sometimes it takes getting your butt kicked by a problem to learn it.And as I've heard before:"I've taught you everything you know, but not everything I know"

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Coral Tech:
No problem. I have been working on computers since the 1980's. </font>

Me too. I come from a strong data/networking background and have only been in the telco business for 14 months now.

My first PC I built was back in 1980. I was 10 years old. Heathkit H-89. AHHHH Memories [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

CP/M, 64K, and a 8" floppy drive. It was awesome back then [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

------------------
NEC Unified Solutions / Voice Mail and Unified Messaging | Active Voice, LLC

[Linked Image from necunified.com] [Linked Image from activevoice.com]

Remember the old RLL and MFM drives? Heheheh.

Yep. Still had some until a few years ago. Still have an Osborne portable and a few Apple II's.

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
KLD Offline
Man, you guys make me look like a rookie -- my first was a "new" '85 IBM with a "new" 5 1/4 floppy. what a boat anchor but it could be used to program some of my PBXs. A real boat anchor to haul around. Now you know why a lot of companies started producing their own programming units.

Ken
---------
Frankiephones,

Gap, Pa. - we're right next to Intercourse, Paradise and Blue Ball, Pa.
In fact, you have to go through the Gap to get to Intercourse and Paradise, if you don't you pass through Blue Ball first. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
if you think I'm joking, check the map.
mark

I think the guy who used to deliver ice said the same thing when westinghouse made the freezer. On the plus side, these IT guys who's employers are requiring them to maintain a phone sys. are one trick pony's, so to speak. They won't be on the board everydy asking about a half dozen different systems. On the flip side, a 100 IT's asking questions.......
Anyone who takes a moment to actually read this board can quicky surmise that even the most experienced phone guy needs help...this board exists for that reason.
So let the DIY or IT guy have a go, he can only go so far w/o help.
Maybe a section just for IT guys who need help with phone sys? You could seperate them from an installer by verifing a required profile (business email address or web site) and/or a general on line quick test.
If thier profile doesn't reflect a Telephony type job/company, then the only catagory they can access is the IT/Phone catagory. It won't be 100% but might limit the amount of posts contained in the catagories the general membership uses.
If they request permission to the whole set of catagories, then they have to prove that they are in the business, again with company letterheads or email address or tel #'s.

my 2 cents

KLD Offline
You're right about the IT types. It's usually something they got stuck with. The boss doesn't understand the reason they have a IT guy is computers break all the time ---- telephones don't. Otherwise they'e have an in-house tel guy, too. Just because the two have similar wire and are basically the same --- a computer --- they aren't the same. But a BIG boss only wants to see it done for nothing. And that's what they get for nothing --- Nothing.

My 2 cents.

Ken
---------
1. Telephone
2. Operator Assisted Telephone switching
3. Electromechanical switching systems
4. Solid-state switching systems
5. Computer controlled switching systems
6. Mainframe computing (terminals) low-bandwith database functionality. Could share cabling infrastructure with voice system.
7. Client/Server computing - High bandwith required - no longer acceptable to share infrastructure with voice system.
8.Seperate voice and data cabling.
9. Voice and data re-integration via VoIP.
10. Voice and data now share same infrastructure again only instead of running data over the voice system, we're running voice over the data system.
11. What's next? How about no cabling at all?
Everything will be wireless and digital and plug and play compatable with everthing else. You'll be able to control your whole world from your very own Personal Communications and Data Delivery system. (Formally known as the Telephone)

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,827
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,555 Shoretel
189,429 CTX100 install
187,596 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 28
teleco 8
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 101 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024