web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37290 08/10/07 02:26 AM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
OP Offline
Customer had a lightning strike at his site---took out several line ports and station cards in the expansion unit of a 5-6 year old DX-80 with 8-port hard drive VM.

We are replacing both cabinets with DX-120s. I would like to leave the old VM on there for a week or so, until we have time to get the new VM programmed here in the shop. Question---can I do that and NOT run into compatability problems.

I went into the trans.txt of our VM in shop (with 120 cabinet) and I noticed that it still has the 740 etc CO line numbers instead of the 800 designation. I would suspect that if one needed to change something in there--you'd have to use the correct Line port numbers----Yes??

We will be doing this Saturday morning.

Also---just a note. It seems like the damage was routed to the Expansion Unit rather that the Main one with the CPU & VM. If that's a design feature--that's a good sign---if it's just random circumstance--then--I guess we were lucky.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Comdial claims you cannot use the old HDD voice mail. I have a couple installed from DX-80 swaps. The oldest one is 6 months old and it's been OK. You might give it a try and see what happens.

If you have a PRI it won't support outbound notification.

OP Offline
Ok---we'll try the HDD--thanks. If it will work, it will give me some breathing room for a week or so.

No PRI--just 12 POTS lines. No outbound notification used. Thanks.

Admin
Admin
The early versions of the flash mail will have to be upgraded also. We found that the hard way.

[Linked Image]
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
I just recently upgraded a DX80 with the legacy 8-port HDD voicemail to a DX120. There were a couple things that had to be done, but I believe they were the same things that were documented way back when, when they told you to remove that Custom entry, and the few other things that went with it. There may also be a couple changes in VM.CFG. As for the outbound notification on PRI, that will work, but you have to get rid of the T for getting an outside line (9T), since the digits shouldn't be converted to DTMF.

Let us know how it goes.

Justin

OP Offline
I just got back from customers's site. Yesterday we installed both cabinets and got almost everything up and running. Today we did some programming of feature Keys, checking ringing, etc.

The only issue that we have so far is that the old HDD VM won't do a transfer of a call (either internal of external). That means that I can't get into the modem from my shop.

It appears that everything elsE works ok. You can get into the VM from the phones (F64) and retrieve messages. You can Ring an extension and let it go into the MB after 4 rings..and leave a message. You just can't TRANSFER from the Routing Box 800 and all the others that are programmed.

We are expecting the new Flash VM either tomorrow or Tuesday from Comdial. Our Vendor didn't have any in stock.

I'm anxious to find out the WHY.

I have experienced some glitches. The SEND program for the Feature Keys--seems to think that Extension 129 is a VM port---although in the EXTENSION menu--129 is,--not a VM port for sure.
I had to program that phone manually at that extension.

The first port of the VM (157) seemed not to work. In the equipment room, I installed the last port that we have on the system (Ext 180) to show all of the VM ports so I could tell what they were doing. The first port was not working. I took it out of 433. Now this was all after I found out the problems with the TRANSFER.

I'll go back tomorrow and see what I can find out. I must keep in mind that the VM is about 6 years old.

JW,
Did you use the "conversion" program to get the programming from the 80 to the 120 or start from scratch? I ask because I had a bunch of crazy issues like your 129 above when I used that conversion program going from a 42 - 80 to the out of box 120. I ended up with a cold start and begin from scratch.
Mark

Yeah, I never trusted the conversion. Also, there are backwards-compatability issues on DX120 releases past F17, because it seems to hang on the new programs (e.g., on K17 PCDBA, if receiving from a F17 DX120, it hangs on the newly-added DST programming entry).

As for the transfer problem, are the lines loop-start, or T1/PRI?

Did you go thru and update the voicemail, to remove the Custom 1xxxx (forgot the exact number, off-hand), and change the various entries, as mentioned in that SAB that came out long ago?

What version software and PCDBA are you using?

Justin

OP Offline
I started from scratch. No PRIs---just 12 loop start POTS lines.

I did not update the VM. I'll look for that SAB in my notes. I'm sure I probably read it, but can't say that I remember what it was about.

I used the PCDBA 17B that came with the F17 chips on the CPU.

I don't have the paper work in front of me (it's on site)..but I seem to recall that 129 is port 21 and port 29 is 157 the first port of the VM. What that means is anybody's guess, but if I can get screwed up with the numbers--maybe the CPU can too--who knows??

OP Offline
I've looked in my files & notes and gone on the CCC--I don't seem to be able to spot that SAB or whatever it is, about changing the VM.cfg/trans.txt (or some other changes) to make a HDD VM work good with the DX-120. Anybody have that at their finger tips, by chance??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024