web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello.

If I'm installing a SVMI-8E in Cabinet #2 on an IDCS 500 system (Release 1)

Can I just turn off cabinet #2(and leave Cabinet#1 on) and put the card in (MMC 806 enable) and then turn cabinet #2 back on?
* While leaving cabinet 1 on the entire time?

Please let me know if this is possible or if you need to reset the entire system when installing a new card.

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You know I have never shut down just one cabinet.
You can do that by halting the cab then shutting it down but I could not tell you weather or not you will need to shut down the main cab anyway.

You cant 806 the cab two slot until its turned on so I would just shut the whole thing down install the card and fire it up. It wont loose programming and then you can 806 the vm and 724 the numbers

I would not encourage it at all. The processor needs to pass ipc messages back and forth and I would be afraid that something intermittent would be the result of the 1/2 power down. I have seen it on a R2 system so I can only assume the R1's would be the same. The time frame is about the same either way and why take the chance.

OP Offline
Hello.

Thank you for the response. I’m afraid that I did not get a chance to read them before I powered down just Cabinet # 2, installed the voicemail and turned it back on. The reason I wanted to do it was because my Cabinet 1 is fully loaded with cards and which can cause strees on the power supplies when starting up from being completely off. I did a simple reboot which killed the power supply a long time ago. So I figure I only would have 50% of the risk by shutting down the secondary cabinet while keeping the main cabinet powered on.

There was about 5 seconds that it just sat there with any signs of life then it started to power on. After about a minute, the Digital phones on Cabinet 2 powered on regain their display. So I guessing everything seem to be ok but I will have to see what happened on Monday.

Normally are you suppose to use halt the system before powering down? Could not doing this damage the system or programming?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

I have installed cards into the 2nd and 3rd cabinets by shutting down just those cabinets before and had no problems due to the same situations you described. Though shutting down the entire system is the right way to do it. That said, I do not recommend putting the voicemail card in any cabinet other than the first. The system is constantly sending IPC mesagges to the voicemail card that basically say, "hey you still there, you ok?" and the voicemail card will reply or not reply. If the main processor does not get a reply after 3 attempts it will try to reboot the voicemail card. I have had problems when the card is not in the main cabinet. The card is working fine but the IPC messages sometimes wouldn't make it back to the processor and then the system would reboot the card and sometimes it wouldn't boot up properly because it was in the middle of processing. You may not have this problem at all though since then I have always installed the voicemail in the main cab. and have had no hiccups since. Just thought I'd pass that info along.

OP Offline
Thanks Ben, I'm glad to hear that shutting down just 1 cabinet has been done before.

So you have also encountered the same problem before on the power supply dying after restarting the system? I guess it’s because I have so many cards packed in the first cabinet that it must really create a lot of initial stress on the power supplies during the startup process.

Do you think if you halted the cards in cabinet 1, you could startup the system with reduced stress or does the halt process stop once you reboot the system?

Does the system keep a log on the SVMI reset in the error log so I can see if this problem is occuring? My SVMI has a hard drive and if you reset it when its writting to the disk, this can cause coruption to the data and operating system.

I suppose I’m going to have to swap the SVMI card with maybe a DLI card in the first cabinet. So all the extensions in MMC 724 associated with the DLI card will then because associated with the SVMI card or does this reset when a new card is installed?

Thanks for your help.

halting ends once you reboot

if you move the svmi now you will need to repunch the exts and or change the number plan to reflect the move, that way you can keep the exts numbered the same

Sounds like all this should have been checked on up front and a plan made??? Anytime you have to power off the system halt the voicemail, think of it as a mini-pc. I also agree with the others, svmi goes in the 1st cabinet. I happen to like slot 6 or 7. If your going to change cards the go into 724 and delete the numbers and then remove the cards. Do a 806 on the vacant slots. Be sure you have voicemail download set to "no". S.O.H.K. says to make backups to pc and smart media prior to starting

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,844
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,648 Shoretel
189,534 CTX100 install
187,784 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
5 members (Avanti Telecom, Toner, Xdm, dans, Soulece), 135 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024