web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#429887 08/17/07 02:01 AM
OP Offline
System: Over five years ago, I installed a 500, R1, with three 16DLI, two 16SLI, SVMI-8, and MPC w/three DB's.

Background: A history of lightning whacks, usually wipes out a port or two, sometimes the entire cabinet. This season - every year. It is a campus set-up, with underground house cables, gas fused at both ends. They refuse to pay for secondary lightning protection. I propose it every year, and they put it off. This year will be different.

Problem: One station - 117 (system re-numbered to match existing published extensions) - randomly goes through a cycle of calling a select few other stations, generating call-backs from those stations, freezing them up. Also will click on DND. Random is the key word. System will wait about an hour before it starts its new game. Just enough to be down the road, feeling all good about yourself.

Troubleshooting:
1. Re-booted system
2. swapped phones - same thing on different phone.
3. Brought the phone to the demark, to eliminate wiring - same thing
4. changed port - the ghost found it
5. changed to a different port on a different card - no help
6. Placed new 16DLI card - nope
6. removed ext 117 entirely, and created a new ext, 144 - same problem
7. Pulled the mpc, clicked the memory switch, and reprogrammed from scratch - still there.
8. replaced MPC card and the software, rebuilt it again from scratch (no uploading of database - I didn't want to replace anything corrupted) - still there.
9. bought a large hammer - haven't used it yet

I removed the extension 117 from the system, and have not yet replaced it with anything. I will give it some time today, and see if anything shakes out. I will have to provide that office with an extension soon, but I'm not sure what.

I have been in contact with the fine boys in Richardson, but their advise is always the same - if it is connected to lighning, replace everything, including the cabinet, and start from scratch.

So, my knowledgable friends, have any of you had any experience with this?

Yes, I am retired - so why am I still working on phones?
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#429888 08/21/07 06:52 AM
OP Offline
Nothing, eh?

#429889 08/21/07 12:03 PM
I haven't had that exact same problem but I have ghost problems like that with an R1 iDCS500. I finally upgraded it with an MCP2 card and the problems have all gone away. I am afraid that the MCP card has a lot of different issues that are never really resolved until you upgrade it to an MCP2 card. :-/

www.A1Bizcom.com
Specializing in selling and installing new and used Samsung systems
#429890 08/23/07 04:45 PM
Well it looks like you have a fine problem on your hands. However, by what you have described I don't think it's the phone system. The only thing you haven't replaced is the cabinet, however you did move card slots and ports and the problem remained. (If it was the cabinet you would have had that problem on the new ports prior ... did you move to an empty port or swap ports?)

I know you said you moved the phone back to the demarc but you haven't completely eliminated the cabling - you still have the amphenol cable and you still have the 66 or 110 block. Have you replaced those items? (I know it sounds stupid but it is a lot easier to do that then replace the entire cabinet and the problem remains.)

Good Luck - Tom

#429891 09/05/07 05:34 AM
OP Offline
Thanks. I did replace the anphenol cable to the 66 block - didn't help. So I replaced the cabinet - voila! (I tiptoed backwards out of the demark room, and have not received a call from then as of yet.)
Thank you muchly.

#429892 09/05/07 08:15 AM
Sounds like those fine boys in Richardson knew what they were talking about.

Rob Michael
Discount Call
www.discountcall.com

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024