web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
We have a customer with a DX 80 that another vendor installed several years ago and the customer wanted 2 digit extensions starting at 11 (instead of 101, 102, etc). This past week their voicemail went down and we had to replace the 7271c card.

Do you know which files in the trans.txt files have to be edited in order for the 2 digit extensions to work properly? The ports in UCD box 433 in system programming (programmed by the other vendor) are 429-432 and 461-464. They could not use 157-164 since they may conflict with the 2 digit extensions.

Initially, after we installed the card, when we hit the voice mail key or dialed 433 we heard, “I’m sorry that was not a valid entry”. We called Vertical and they had the tech edit the trans.txt files. We thought everything was okay but received a call from the customer stating when you enter 433 or voice mail button it rings voice mail as it should. However, when you call in from the outside and dial the extension or dial the AA digit directed to extensions, it rings the extension and if no one answers within the specified number of rings you hear, “I’m sorry that was not a valid entry”, and then it goes back to the AA.

Any ideas on what needs to be edited? I know we can call Vertical Monday but were thinking we would head out over the weekend to get them taken care of sooner.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
Ok, here's my recommendation:

Do NOT change extensions on a Tecom system. You will regret it over and over again when strange issues start popping up. Even moreso, DO NOT change extensions when you have a voicemail on the system, it's even worse!

The system was setup with 3-digit extensions and directory numbers for a reason. Changing the default 3-digit numbers to different 3-digit numbers is bad. Changing the default 3-digit numbers to 2-digit numbers is going to cause you headaches beyond belief, and Vertical won't support you with changed numbers. The first time you call them with strange problems, the first thing they will tell you will be to go back to the default numbers.

Have I said DO NOT change the numbers? If not, let me say it again...

This is from personal experience, walking into a system where another tech had done this, where I had to deal with the headaches and then finally went back to the original numbers.

Justin

OP Offline
Justin,

We have never set up a DX 80/120 with 2 didgit extensions for that very reason. However, the customer wants the system set up as it has been for the last 8 years. Apparently, they had no problems until a power surge blew the card.

I'll see what I can do running a trace and giving Vertical a call to help. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Greg

Maybe the old vendor went out of business fielding the warranty calls from programming it that way. I'd get out of that any way possible. It's bad news.

Justin

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Tell the customer the new voice mail system doesn't support 2 digit numbering and the old voice mail cards are no longer available.

Justin is absolutely correct, NEVER mess with Tecom's default numbering.

If I remember correctly I think when a call is transferred on a system that has had it's numbers changed the system sends the old 3 digit extension DTMF back to the voice mail on some SW releases. You had to modify the trans.txt station entries to something like 11=101* If you start trace you can see what digits the system is sending and code the rules from that. Don't forget to add the * at the end or the VM will retransfer the call right back to the extension. You will have to build a translation for each extension in the system.

Different SW releases on the DX80 had different issues and I don't have the bug lists any more. Personally I would reinitialize the thing and start over. I took over a DX80 that somebody did 2 digit numbering and the customer complained about intermittent VM issues. I reinitialized the system and reflashed the card and never had another problem.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,384 Shoretel
189,092 CTX100 install
187,414 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 131 guests, and 360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024