web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
OP Offline
Has anyone one out there ever had an out of box failure on the 4TRM where all the CO lines ring in with Phantom calls?

I did a new install on Weds and everything went smooth until all 4 co lines started ringing in randomly with phantom calls, it goes in cycles in that it will work fine for awhile and then boom, it will go nuts ringing in.

AT&T is the provider and they had trouble on their lines which they thought they cleared Thursday evening, I stopped at the customer site this morning to check in and as soon as I walked in the lines flipped out again, so I was back on the phone with AT&T, the tech came out and couldn’t find any trouble and then he came out again with a crew because I called and told him that now line 3 was dead, the last thing they did at 4pm was to work on an aerial splice that had a frigging beehive in it, they got all 4 lines working again but at 4:30 I get a call from the customer screaming that the lines are flipping out again and if it's not fixed by 10am Monday morning that I need to pull the switch out and he'll find somebody else etc. also the you say it's them and they say it's you thing (not a happy call) while they were working on their end during the day I was trying to trouble shoot on the switch side.

NOTE: During all this time you could dial out and receive legitimate calls no problem except when all the co lines decided to ring in. I pulled line 3 from the 7100 this afternoon until they repaired it because it was dead on the LEC side but still had battery on it and that seem to quiet the problem down, but who knows anymore.

The 7100 is on a new UPS and I have it grounded to an I beam which is cemented into the floor of the warehouse, I swapped the UNI cards but I didn't have another 4TRM in stock and it was too late to get one shipped here by Monday, so I’m going back first thing Monday with a DCS Compact and if need be hook it up temporarily and see what happens.

I apologize for the long post but I am seriously at a WTF moment.

Mark

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

One simple thing to check, did you put the retaining screw in the 4TRM daughter board, it needs to be tight for earthing.

Since you don't have a spare 4TRM, try it in another position, and/or you have a spare UNI board, so if you have a spare slot you could put the 4TRM into that.

Are you using all 4 ports on the TRM? if not you could move the trunks.

One other thought is, if the 4TRM is at fault then to try and prove this you could just loop back some SLT's into the trunk ports.

Samsung, Ericsson, NEC, Nortel Certified Installer
OP Offline
Yep, the retaining screw is in and I swapped the uni board in slot 1 that had the 2 DLMs and the SLM modules and moved it to slot 2 with the 4trm installed with no change, and all 4 ports are being used.

feeding the single lines into the co ports is a good idea, when I bring the compact to the site on Monday I'll take the 7100 out of service with just 1 28 button falcon set connected and feed the 4 single lines in and see what happens.

The thing that gets me is that I had it on the bench for a day before the install but with just 1 CO line connected and I didn't see anything funky going on.

Days like this make me wish I joined the circus

Test your line current, anything over 35mA can cause your problem
Pots

jb
I'd stick a SLT on the line to prove its the lines. Only had this once on a 7200 when BT put a DACS on the line as they didnt have enough pairs.

OP Offline
Test your line current,anything over 35mA can cause your problem: if it is can they or will they lower it? And have you seen it cause phantom ringing on all the lines?

Adi: When you say SLT do you mean feeding an analog station into the CO port?

BT: I'm assuming British Telecom, I'm not sure what a DACS is though, so what should I ask AT&T over here?

Thanks for the replys all,

Mark

Originally posted by Barrontel:
When you say SLT do you mean feeding an analog station into the CO port?
I'm not the OP, but what I think he meant was to have you connect an analog phone directly to the CO Lines. What I would recommend is connecting an analog phone to each CO Line and then connect the CO Lines to the system. If both the analog phones and the system phones start ringing with phantom rings, then it's an AT&T problem. If the system phones start ringing, but the analog phones don't ring, then the issue is with the system.

Originally posted by Barrontel:
I'm assuming British Telecom, I'm not sure what a DACS is though, so what should I ask AT&T over here?
Digital access and cross-connect systems (DACS) are large matrix switches used to aggregate, groom, and redirect traffic on telecom networks. They usually handle Sonet voice traffic, as well as time-division multiplexed (TDM) leased lines. Data-networking technologies such as Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) and Internet Protocol (IP) are gradually being added to some products.

Yeh as CIT just said have the system and a SLT connected to the lines and see if they both ring on the phantom calls.

DACS over here is when bt ran out of pairs to a site and its used to get 2 analogue lines from 1 pair. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Access_Carrier_System

Can also try defaulting to see if it still does it and restore if not.

If it is hot C.O.s causing the trouble, you may have to make adjustments yourself because the telco not only won't fix it, they won't know what you are talking about.

Demonstrate the problem to the customer and they can deduct your labor and materials to fix the problem via their phone bill.

Sandman has 'filters' than install on a 66 block that will reduce the MA.

OP Offline
Thanks everyone for all the good advice and info,
What I plan on doing which will hopefully buy me some time to figure this out and pin point who's side the trouble is on is to:
Step:1
Program up a DCS compact with the same configuration as they have now on the 7100 (5-28 button falcons & 4 COs) plug everything into the compact and see what happens, if the lines continue to flip out then I guess I'll know if it's on AT&T's side, unless of course Murphy's law will say that the compact's co card isn't as sensitive to higher line voltage as the 7100. (then I'm screwed)

Step 2:
Feed the 4 single line ports of the 7100 or compact back into the 4trm card of the 7100 with 1 28 B falcon as the answer point and again, see what happens (my gut says zilch) or I could tap off the AT&T lines to both switches at the same time. Any thoughts on that one? Or here's another one, program the 4 Single Lines's on the compact in with the operator group and then feed them into the 7100 as CO's??

Step 3: Overnight a 4trm and eat the cost, I should have a spare in stock anyway.

Step 4: if the customer is still not satisfied with my service after all of this, especially if it turns out to be an AT&T issue, I will give up and become a rodeo clown.

Mark (future buckeroo )

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024