web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello. I have a client that has a Samsung iDCS 100 R2 system that has a very strange intermittent problem. On extended calls (I'm told, over 10 minutes in length), the phone users are reporting that all of a sudden, they will get cut off of the call. Then, one of the users in the operator station group (group 500) will tell them that the call got transferred to them! The person who had the call originally did nothing to touch the phone or anything else--the call just "disappears" to the operator.

This happens a few times a day. I had a Samsung-authorized tech look into this and they are completely baffled. On a hunch, they replaced the T1 card (which I was NOT convinced would solve it). Of course, that did not resolve it.

I also moved some of the extensions in question to a different card (ie, from the CPU card to a station card). No difference.

I was suspicious of faulty wiring that another vendor had put in, so two days ago, I bypassed all of the wiring in the ceiling/walls and plugged one phone that was near the computer room directly into the phone switch patch bay. I know that this patch bay wiring is fine--I checked. (unlike the suspect wiring in the ceiling/walls, which has a few poor splices--a NO-NO in my book!) Anyways, all seemed good until today they called me and said the "test phone" lost/transferred two calls today!!! So, that rules out the wiring...

Anyone ever seen this before?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'd suspect the power supply, as they start to fail weird things can happen (you're describing the symptoms I had that were due to a bad P/S on a 616 that I repaired a few days ago).

Look at the power supply on the upper-right corner where there are 3 capacitors, a small one and two larger ones, above a small transformer. If the two larger caps are popping up (the top will be splitting slightly showing a little black X rather than being flat and all silver) than you have almost certain located the problem.

OP Offline
I had suspected the P/S, too. But, a) No capacitor plague (I've repaired many devices that have had bad caps but this one does not show at least the physical signs). b) This phone switch takes about 4 minutes to reboot--if it were a P/S problem, wouldn't the entire switch crash and reboot, which would take about 4 minutes (my clients would notice that)?

Are you getting PRI errors in the system alarm log?

OP Offline
No PRI Errors...

Question: I have a spare DCS50 system Are the power supplies compatible? If so, I could try a swap...

I would defintily look into a P/S as well. When they start to go south weird things happen esp. in the exp cabs. I have replaced many that looked fine and ended up being the problem. Just my 2 pennies.

I have the same system at a customer here - 100 with PRI - actually its quite a full system. When the power supply started to fail, the caps were hot - but not bulging. Same symptoms - PRI issues, calls would drop for no reason. Had the carrier test the circuit - no problems found. On a lark I replaced the caps and presto - PRI problems vanished like night and day. Replace the caps, then you know 100%. Takes me 15 minutes from power off to power on to complete - I do the repair on site for the amount of time they are down.

~ Marty

Sometimes there ARE ghosts in the machine. I use MSN Live, ask me for the addy if you want.

Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

http://www.vernontelecom.com
OP Offline
Thanx for the replies. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the power supply. While I am 100% qualified to replace the caps, I am going to give this feedback to the certified Samsung tech and let him deal with it--this has become a rather high-profile issue and I don't want to be "blamed" if it doesn't fix it. (and any other problems that may arise).

While I agree that it MAY be the caps. I would like to make something very clear.

While I am 100% qualified to replace the caps, I am going to give this feedback to the certified Samsung tech and let him deal with it
Samsung only advises replacement of the power supply. They do not advise replacing the caps.

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,618 Shoretel
189,509 CTX100 install
187,769 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024