web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Anyone have any luck with setting up a Samusung system using ATT "sticky" IP DSL and ITP sets? Just ran into this with a customer of ours. They had a 50si, we upgraded them to OS100 with MGI16 installed and are going to put a couple ITP sets at a remote site. All this served via DSL from ATT. Normally I've never had any problems with this when the system side is "static" IP. But with this "sticky" IP DSL it doesn't work like we normally set it up and I'm not sure it will.

Can someone clue me in?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

My understanding of a "sticky" ip address, is that its similar to a dynamic address but does not always chage every time the connection is lost. This is very similar to a dynamic in that your going to have to change the static public on the switch every time your public IP changes.

The off site ITP sets will also need to be reprogramed to "look" for the new switch address.

Long story short is Static addressing is the easyest way to go.

Im by no means a CG but maybe CIT or some of the more IT savvy guys can shed some more light on this subject.

Hey Michael,

I got you voicemail. I'm out in the field today and tomorrow, but I will try to find some time to call you tomorrow. I have no experience with AT&T or their "sticky" IP, but I will call you.

OP Offline
No problem Marc, not in a hurry will look forward to your call.

IDCS you're right, a sticky ip is one where the router logs on using PPPOE, then receives the same public ip address every time it does. I get this for outbound internet traffic. Where I'm confused is that they've given the customer a range of eight public ip's, one of them specifically being used as the gateway for all the rest. According to tier 2 support from ATT when an incoming request comes in to one of the statics that is not the gateway address, they route it to the router via the specific gateway address and the router can be configured to deal with this. I understand the concept, not real sure it will work with the samsung. And you're right on plain old static being the way to go here which I'm very familiar with and is what we asked for from ATT, but got this mess instead.

I definitly would not want to be dealing with that myself. and Marc is for sure the guy to talk to.

It sounds the same as the setup several ISPs offer in the UK - when the router autheticates with a particular username and password you get the same block of static IP addresses.

You can either route these directly to local devices and/or NAT (network address translate) one or more of them to a local private network, it's down to the capabilities of the router. I've used Draytek routers to do this for several years, not sure how widely used they are in the US.

For example, if you were given a block of eight addresses with aaa.bbb.ccc.94 netmask 255.255.255.248 for the router then you can use the five addresses aaa.bbb.ccc.89 through aaa.bbb.ccc.93 for devices (servers, phone systems, etc.) and/or have a load of devices on a local network (typically 192.168.1.x netmask 255.255.255.0) using NAT from the aaa.bbb.ccc.94 address.

You could either give the Samsung system one of the public addresses, or a private address and set up port forwarding. If you go for the public address I would strongly recommend setting up firewall rules to restrict connections to the just the ports required for normal operation.

OP Offline
Thanks for the responses guys and the phonecall Marc. I think I have it sorted out in my head now. Probably head out to the customers tomorrow and see if I can get it to work.

OP Offline
Just to provide a little closure to this problem. We did get this working finally and it took upgrading the customers modem to one that would work. So I'd highly recommend if you are upgrading an existing customers ATT dsl to static, according to AT&T it will always come as "sticky" static, make sure the customer has the right dsl modem to do this.

Moderated by  nameless, pvj 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 183 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024