web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
bill Offline OP
OP Offline
Looking to wire a house for both CATV and High speed. What type of splitters? Can Same cable carry both signals to 1 faceplate?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Bill,

you need COAX for the cable TV and Cat5 ethernet for the high speed. The Coax can be looped and split, but the Cat5 needs to be a home run from the wall to the network switch.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
bill Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks.
bill

Maybe I am mis-understanding something...
I have broadband (and telephone service)through my cable provider. Everyuthing comes in on the same coax cable. I can get either off of the same face plate, or put in a splitter and get both off of 1 face-plate. The only reason that I use any Cat 5 is to wire my network together after the cable modem. With multiple cable modems, you don't really need any network cable except from the modem to the computer (router, hub) itself.

all spliiters and connections shold be the standard RG6. the only thing that you need ot consider is if you amplifier. High speed won't work through an Amplifier for some reason.

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
that's fine for cable modems, but doesn't work on DSL, T-1, or Wireless. You only get one router. Also, having one modem going to a switch and then routing everything through the switch allows for easier print sharing and file swapping, as well as firewall control and such.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
Best all-around is to home run all cables of any type. If you're using cable modem, don't put more than one splitter (preferably low loss) between cableco's feed and the modem or you'll get flaky connections.

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
Jeeze where have I been.

A) NEVER EVER EVER LOOP CATV "COAXIAL" CABLE!!!!

NEVER!

NO!

B) Use RG-6 or RG-6QS either will work.

C) If you want to use an amp with a cable modem, make sure you need an amp first, then secondly... buy an amp that's rated with a 5-42MHz return path. Otherwise... the amp prevents return signals from passing through.

D) always use 5-1000MHz rated splitters, regal is a great brand.

E) BE SMART! Use smurf tube to every outlet so you can switchout cable for years to come.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Avaya,

I agree with you on the smurf pipe, but not everyone will get a chance to put it in.

I personally didn't, nor wouldn't loop coax cable in my own house, but it is a common practice among track home builders. Even worse, they usually don't have to worry too much about looping the coax because the only put one run in!

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
LOL, I need to show my wife this thread.

She about shit when I ran all the RG6 in my house. I put 2 runs at each location and most rooms have 3 locations. also drug in a cat 3 and ca 5 to each location. Accept for my office , I have about 6 locations in there with double everything.

Yes, she thought I was crazy.

------------------
[Linked Image from home.columbus.rr.com]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,695
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toner, Curlycord, Professor Shadow, dans), 96 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024