web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#442136 11/17/04 06:48 PM
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
OP Offline
I was getting ready to install some additional Cat 5e and Cat 3 cables at a local church. They are also in the process of upgrading their sound system, which includes building a new sound booth. Portions of the project are being inspected, so it is especially important that we all stick to code requirements.

The contractor installing the new cabling for the sound system mentioned to me that I should not be running PVC wire in the attic over the suspended ceiling of the main meeting room. He said new NEC requirements call for Plenum-rated CL3 cable (new improved heat tolerance?), and because I was not in conduit, this situation called for it. He said it was no different than running it exposed inside the room.

The material for the ceiling is sheetrock, suspended by wires, similar (only much larger) to those used for T-Bar. The ceiling space is not a true plenum. All HVAC is ducted, not using the ceiling space as a duct.

Am I missing something here? Is there something new I don't know about? Is there a stricter requirement because this ceiling is over a high occupancy (1200 person) room? I would be hanging the cable with cable hangers, so I was never planning to have cable laying directly on the ceiling. I was confused by what he said. Unless there is a local requirement, does anyone know of any other requirement to use Plenum, or specifically Plenum CL3 cable in a non-plenum ceiling space?

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Check your local building codes!

Nothing in the NEC 2002 about having to install plenium unless you are in a plenium raceway. all thats for is the nylon when it catches fire does not kill you with the gas it puts off. I would check local codes but I think this guy is pulling your leg.

As the others have stated, "check with your local inspector".
Local codes prevail, and a lot of them are really stupid!
We have a suburb that wants plenum cable even in conduit.

------------------
Don't get me started!

As all have stated. Call the local inpectors office. Plenum cable is designed to not "kill" people in other parts of the building not affected by the fire. When in doubt or if there is any question, pull plenum. Think of the few cents more a foot as a liabilty insurance.

I'm trying to get the boss to try and go 100% plenum on all standard 4 pair cable.

[Linked Image from i26.servimg.com]
TouchPoint Networks.

Serving the Northwest Since 1991
NEC Shoretel Zultys T3 Tadiran
Only cable i carry is Plenum. Don't have to worry about it.

OhioTelecom
Man how much money are you wasting every year on wire or what kida deal do you get?

OP Offline
If the cost can be passed on to the customer, and you can still make money, and you are able to sell the idea of plenum-only to customers, then more power to you. I would think you have to be a pretty good salesperson to do very well with that though. Then again, maybe the new regulations do the selling for you!

If a few hundred "wasted" dollars saves a life, then so be it. In my area most of the new buildings going up are plenum rated. Grant it PVC is cheaper, but it saves so much valuable room on my truck and warehouse not having to stock various types of cable. Actually the only cable we stock is Cat5e plenum, for the normal day to day stuff. Obviously on new builds that dont require plenum we go with PVC.

[This message has been edited by OhioTelecom (edited November 28, 2004).]

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Yoda, Toner, Curlycord), 135 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024