web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
skip555 Offline OP
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
OP Offline
I dont do a lot of fiber , but have done a little . on another board someone is claiming that fiber connectors regularly fail and need to be replaced every couple of years .

that dosn't sound right to me , I have stuff out there thats working fine after 5 years plus so you guys that do fiber is that your experiance ?

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Everything I have ever done is still working. The only times I have seen a problem is if you put on the ends and run it straight into the equipment. We always put them in fiber trays and have never had to go back. Maybe its the ends they are using. We use the 3M hotmelt ends.

Might also be an issue of people not putting the dust caps on when cables/terminations are not in use. Or if this person doesn't like fiber for whatever reason, they might be stretching the truth a bit.

I haven't had any experience with fiber connectors going bad just because they're old.

Once the fiber is tested with a TDR and passes , the only failures we have had are human ones . We use Biconic,ST,SC and the new one , forget the name ! smile

Let It Be , I live in a Yellow Submarine . SCCE
Skip Who ever they are they must be constantly plugging in and unplugging and even then I have never worn one out.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
We have a lot of fiber being used in our Central Office. Have never seen a fiber fail on its own.

I Love FEATURE 00
skip555 Offline OP
OP Offline
thanks , thats been my impression based my my experiances and observation thought maybe I was missing something

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
If you test the fiber and install it in a fiber panel, there is no reason it should fail. I have fiber thats been installed for six years now without a problem. When you connect or reconnect to a strand you should always clean the tips, that will prevent a lot of problems.

I have installed long-haul fiber since 1986. Although the splicing and connection technologies have changed for the better thruogh the years, the infrastructures have remained usable. Dark fiber placed twenty years ago are often put into use by new circuit necessities. As long as the fiber is certified by recent OTDR measurements it should be good to go. One caveat, fiber in OSP is affected by water in splice cases. Even though it is glass, fiber is vunerable to water infusion. Indoor connectors that may have been installed previously on dark fiber are useable according to precautions mentioned in the aforementioned posts, as long as the proper connectors can be found.

Al
I've been shipping terminated fiber assemblies for about 10 years now. I would say that the guy on the other board is talking about fiber he terminated.

-Ken in MD-
www.kyawacomm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,110 Shoretel
187,715 CTX100 install
186,809 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 113 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024