web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#443800 08/21/06 01:06 PM
I was a construction superintendent on a year long job full of changes. The next door construction supply company once gave me a copy of a cartoon with the phrase "There comes a time when you just have to shoot the architect." with a depiction of him dead on his drawings.

My best framer friend came into the trailer and put a line thru architect and replaced it with "project manager", meaning my companies senior superintendent who was also a delight to deal with and commonly got himself in similar situations. He too was laughing when he saw the cartoon, though never saw the added line.

Isn't that what scotch tape was created is for?
And colored tape for unit #.

They did test me with some jumper wire in my network job interview to see if I could identify the different colors of each wire. As they had a guy before me try to trace those 2500 or so connections. They thought in the end he could not see color. I traced and documented 2500 sometimes by 5 subclosets so was really like 10K+ jumper wires in a month. Now I remember why it gave me a headache doing that for 5 or weeks straight.

The older cat5 installer there told me a story of a greenie unwrapping some multipair in the hundreds cable and nicely removing all some type of identifable ends at a job that went from 4 hours to 4 days or more of toning each pair.

The reason the super, gc, customer probably would accept it being done that way is it gets done now and no changes or added equipment. You see he would have to explain it.

Another super once told me that it doesn't matter what the people want they can't have it. He meant this about everyone from the owners, builders, subcontractors that none will get all exactly what they want while trying to keep the schedule moving. He also said use the phonebook to solve a problem. Just keep at it till you find who can answer what you don't know about solving.
This was pre internet days. But even now it works.

I spent a large amount of time on the phone anyway often talking to 60 people or more a day on phone plus some 50 or asking questions in a job full of owner desired changes and faulty blue prints. Another large part of the day is writing down everything that is said and happens each day in your own little blank paged book. Some go back and change what they said to cover their asses with a large sheet later either by page binder style or eraseable ink. As in these situations sometimes arise with blame game. But that little book we keep for ever in life in case judicial matters arise. The bulk of it is transfered at end of day to another full sized daily log during the week when free time. So not allways is their agreement accuratly recorded but in this situation I would think you have now worries and did a fine job given such a situation.

One things that I learned early on that my boss never did it seemed was to ask the subs before you get to that point (cablie error) how they would do it and what is the norm. When he did ask he would often dream up some idea of his own and attempt to do it that way. One his best lines though when confronted on what he had asked for previously was the response of "you must have been talking toe somebody else".

The biggest issue is money. What more in cost and time would take. What you did worked even though I realize it wouldn't be acceptable for data, and if I know more than likely this guy like our project manager, will be calling you again on another job. Literally some subs or their main crew leads would avoid our project manager after one project.

Yeah there is a cleaner way but ultimately when looking at it I like the suggestion of putting a 7'foot rack infront of the 66 blocks best. This termination in someways doesn't matter now I think. The end user or customer appears to have no use for the data cables unless they have access to this closet. Theres no hub, bridge, switch or router or anything planned here I take it? Its just for looks now?

Yes splices at cans or even underground cables. Or submarine clamp on listening devices work too. I remember some nutty friends cutting trees for fire wood. One got stuck against another. One of them looked thru the woods and found a cable laying on
the ground. Needless to say about 1" worth of houses no longer had phone service that day.

A story I liked came from the beige or colored box days suggested either opening cans or finding such a wire and identfiying the live ones and splicing a variety of connections in. Then calling to a 1 900 line then connecting another to a chat line and then jumping these together for entertaining havoc.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#443801 08/21/06 01:59 PM
Admin
Admin
[Linked Image from users.telenet.be]

I found your soapbox Ed it was under Packet :rofl:

welcome Packet

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
#443802 08/21/06 02:20 PM
grider Offline OP
OP Offline
Welcome to the board packet. In here you will find 90% phone guys jabbering back n forth. It's refreshing to hear from the other side.

#443803 08/22/06 01:18 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally posted by Packet:
I like the suggestion of putting a 7'foot rack infront of the 66 blocks best.
That was sarcasm, my friend! There would be no access to the 66-blocks, the fiber, the protectors or anything else if he put a rack there.

Not that some data guy wouldn't do it that way. But, I'm sure Grider and CCSGINC would not.

#443804 08/23/06 06:25 AM
"I never said that. You must have been talking to somebody else."

#443805 08/23/06 09:25 AM
You never said what was quoted from the thread you posted? I'm confused...

#443806 09/04/06 10:22 PM
I had a customer today wanted me to do the same sort of thing I would have used some slightly more approved joiners then scotch locks.

I said $10,000 and Ill make your problems go away.

Anyway he found some other poor bunny that thought he could fix it for less.

Good For Me

#443807 09/15/06 09:42 AM
HJB Offline
The easiest thing to do would be to terminate all of those cables on 110 blocks up in the ceiling (above the tiles) and then terminate C-4 clips to the 110 block. You could then run NEW blue and white cables from the 110 block down to wherever you need them to be.

This would introduce a "splice point" into your channel, but this is an acceptable practice and TIA standards allow for it.

Just make sure to strain-relieve the cables coming off of the 110 block down to the 66 blocks and patch panels. Otherwise, the weight of the cables will, over time, pull them from the C-4 IDC connections.

Good luck.

Hans Broesicke, RCDD
#443808 09/26/06 08:09 AM
Originally posted by nfcphoneman:
You never said what was quoted from the thread you posted? I'm confused...
LOL You may need to reread… That’s one of the better lines in his rant!!!! :rofl:

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#443809 09/26/06 01:11 PM
SST Offline
One thing about contruction dead lines is the "Money". Construction loans pay-out in increments. Certain percentages of the loan are paid as the project is completed. There is a very good chance that if the cable was not completed by the move in date a loan check would not have been issued for that phase of the project. And you know what the say: "no money, no worky"

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,893
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,903 Shoretel
189,989 CTX100 install
188,109 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 36 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024