web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#447103 10/04/07 06:31 AM
I thought I covered the reason for the supplemental ground above. The supplemental ground on the KSU is required by UL in case the line cord gets disconnected from the wall receptacle. When that happens the system and station wiring are not protected if something happens to the CO lines from outside.

The reason the ground cannot be taken from the ground on a surge protector like that Panamax is because that too is connected to ground with a line cord. Disconnect that cord and you are in the same boat.

That Ditek unit is permanently installed by virtue of a screw that replaces the wall plate screw. Surge and overvoltage wise I'll agree that it doesn't provide the protection that the Panamax does but there is nothing to stop you from using a Panamax after that.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#447104 10/04/07 07:40 AM
I always try to run my ground for the ITW Linx c.o. and station surge protectors and the ksu/pbx ground to the ground bar of an electrical panel. From my understanding from an phd electrical engineer is that a common ground for the entire building is best. I can get the two dollar explanation if anyone is interested. Since I started that practice, I've not had one fuse or protector fail. And all my systems are undamaged. Prior to that practice, I had one system get hit twice in a week. Ended up replacing the system...twice!

Al Dukes
:toast:

"Let Everything Be Done Decently and In Order" 1 Corinthians 14:40
#447105 10/04/07 08:51 AM
Please get the five dollar explanation. I need the explanation with the picture of the nuts and the bolts and the numbered instructions. I need Grounding for Dummies.

#447106 10/04/07 09:24 AM
...the ground bar of an electrical panel... From my understanding from an phd electrical engineer is that a common ground for the entire building is best.

That is the best case scenario IF the electrical panel is the service entrance panel. About the only time you are going to be able to do that is with a residential type install. If you are on the third floor of an office building about all you can hope for is a conduit coming out of a sub panel. That may be just fine until some sparkie puts a neutral on a ground bus someplace, and it doesn't even have to be in that panel.

The advice given here is real world from people who do this kind of work. Who you going to believe, a Post Hole Digger or us?

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#447107 10/04/07 09:58 AM
Originally posted by The Grim Reaper:
I need Grounding for Dummies.
I don't know if it's for dummies, but look at the FAQ's in the Outside Plant category.

Retired phone dude
#447108 10/04/07 01:46 PM
94astro Offline OP
OP Offline
In this case I ended up putting a ground clamp on the nearest copper pipe and grounding my system to that.

Maybe running a ground from the backboard to the TELCO. grounding strip via conduit should be when you are cabling a large area where many phone systems could be installed.

Aaron
#447109 10/04/07 05:04 PM
In this case I ended up putting a ground clamp on the nearest copper pipe and grounding my system to that.

Well, like I said, I don't recommend that. It depends on how your particular equipment is designed as to whether or not it can be damaged by a voltage between the line cord ground and the supplimental ground.

-Hal

#447110 10/05/07 08:12 AM
I will call my dad tonight and get the nuts and bolts. He gave a great explanation and has a phd in electrical engineering.

Will post tomorrow, I hope.

Al Dukes
:toothy:

"Let Everything Be Done Decently and In Order" 1 Corinthians 14:40
#447111 02/20/08 11:02 AM
My install documents which I require to be signed by the customer include environemental conditions which the customer is responsible to meet. This includes providing a true earth ground for the system aux ground at the system location. It also specifies a dedicated circuit with a dedicated ground for power. These are clearly stated as the customers responsibility, and liability in writing, and verbally in the project management meeting. They sign off on this document, and that unless they recieve a seperate quote, accept that quote, and schedule that work prior to the equipment being installed from my company that they will be responsible to provide any and all environmental conditions as stated in the document.
If you do not have the proper equipment, expertise, and experience to test the ground, then do not contract to provide that service, plain, and simple. The customer can get an EC in to take care of it if they do not have staff that can do so. On the final sign off include the environemntal conditions in the document as the customers liability, and that they accept that condition.

Now, do your best to give them the ground yourself so you can show due diligence even though it was not in your scope of work, but their scope. The middle screw of the faceplate of the power outlet is exactly what the previous post mentioned in reference to the Ditek unit with the wing nut as a good common ground according to codes..

I can not recommend any technology platform, only technicians!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,624 Shoretel
189,514 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 142 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024