web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
KLD Offline
Interesting....the distance is due to the purity of the glass and the connections. If that is all you can get at that nano rate, it can't be all that good. Probably due to the dual usage of indoor/outdoor.

If you truly want those speeds, go with a hybrid cable with both MM and SM fiber with laser media converters to guarantee that speed.

Ken
---------
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
The recommended maxiumum length for OM3 laser optimized 50/125um backbone is 300m (984ft) at 10Gb/s. (BICSI TDMM, 11th Edition)

If you want to be in spec to 10G+, then you'll need to go with single-mode fiber. If they need MM and SM, go with the hybrid that Ken recommended. If they only need MM for now, you may still want to recommend the hybrid so they have the SM for future use.

Your Amp LightCrimp kit will certainly work for terminating 62.5 or 50um MM or the single-mode. Just make sure you order the right connectors. The cladding on all three fibers is 125um, so the terminations are exactly the same, you just use different connectors.

If you choose to go with single-mode, you'll need to make sure you have the proper testing equipment. You cannot test SM with a MM light-source.

-Larry

Originally posted by nfcphoneman:

If you choose to go with single-mode, you'll need to make sure you have the proper testing equipment. You cannot test SM with a MM light-source.

-Larry
To expand on what Larry said, your same light source that you use for 62.5 can be used for 50 micron fiber. You just need to match the correct patch to the corresponding fiber; 62.5 cord to 62.5 fiber...

WWW.EmeryCommunications.com
Authorized SMB Avaya Business Partner
OP Offline
The feedback I got from 3-4 sources for this app was to go with the 62.5/125 gig fiber MM. It is a satellite building, not hugely bandwidth intensive, and the distance is just a little too far for 10gig. There will be at least one empty innerduct the whole route, which is nice.

Fiber is fun. Nice break from all the copper pulling. It just is not possible to be a hands-on 'expert' on it when it is only 3-5% of what we do. That AMP Lightcrimp tool kit has sure been a lifesaver though. We can always terminate as ST and then let the patchcord interface with whatever the customer comes up with - LC, etc.

This forum is sure great - has been a big help - appreciate it 100%. I should spend more time here going through all the old threads vs my obsession with cars and trucks!!!

OP Offline
Finally got the go-ahead on this project. Of course the PDX weather is about as hostile as it gets here right now. Record levels of snow and ice. Should be fun!

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Originally posted by justbill:
I would use the largest gauged cable I could get in there. A 22 or 19 gauge cable would make that distance a mute point. Those footages are based on 24 gauge cable.
Very interesting forum, have read all the way through and have gained some great insight.

From my old maintenance trouble shooting splicing days: 24 guage copper had approx. 45' per ohm, 22 guage has approx. 65' per ohm and 19 guage (pencil point that stuff is!) has 125' per ohm. So 1200 feet works out to 26.67 ohms of resistance for 24 AWG, 18.487 ohms of resistance for 22AWG and 9.6 ohs of resistance for 19 AWG. Temperature plays somewhat of a factor but not terribly much. We had a similar issue some years back in having some OPX's placed at an assembly hall and using the 22 AWG buried cable worked just fine to get them the farther distance needed.

There is a company that makes LAN extenders as well that will work over Copper if I am permitted to mention it: https://www.patton.com/. That might serve for a future reference point if someone can not place fiber, which is propably the metheod of choice in most cases.

Thanks for that link. I was just looking for ethernet over copper last week. I'll add that one to my list.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
You could go broke buying the tool pieces you need to do 'heavy duty' OSP cable pulling part time!

Swivels, innerduct pullers, pulling socks, rope, mule tape .. the list never ends.

Since a quality swivel alone is $350, its hello Ace Hardware for me! Make shift hooks and swivels. Misc stuff off Ebay.

Maybe I'll take pics - should be fun.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OSP is really a completely different industry. Different tools, different materials, different cable, different required skill sets. I had about 12 or 13 years in when I did my first OSP job. I was like a babe in the woods. Good thing my partner knew that end of the business.

The job was to run a 100 pr cable from one end of creation to the other - all on the grounds of the Bronx VA Hospital. The cable ran inside the building in conduit for a while, then out to a series of manholes, then out the last manhole and was piped up the side of a building. Then it ran aerial for a couple of thousand feet on poles, went down the side of the last pole, was trenched into a building, termed and then extended a few hundred feet to a cook box.

A little bit of everything. When I was finished with that one I had as good an education as you could get.

My partner made out a list of what we'd need: Everything from hooks and belts to three bolt clamps and strand grips. Icky Pic cleaner, thru bolts, a brace and bit. Kellums and splice cases and protectors and......

I thought the supply man was going to cry when he got the list.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
OP Offline
Silversam - I completely agree. The OSP installation is a completely different animal. I have a whole new respect for the OSP pros (which I am not). The sparkies, being experts on everything, have decided to try and just 'jump in there' and do it.

We have been waiting on the fiber and had an agreement with the other contractor to hold off on installing the three innerducts in the 4" PVC 500' straight run.

Just happen to be by there today and what do I see?!! The contractor told his workers to 'shove it in there' without calling me. No voice cable, no rope, no Aquaseal cable for paging, etc.

I should have taken a picture. They could only get it to go in there about 75' because the innerduct was tangling up like crazy. When I asked what they thought they were doing they said they've never installed a mess like this before.

They were attempting to pull all that with a little nylon pull string and I have two 1800lb Nepco tapes + a 600' roll of 3/4" rope sitting just feet away. frown They 'greased up' the head of the innerduct - and, of course - I had an ample supply of Polywater right around the corner. Nice mess.

I have all the right goodies on standby for the innerduct pull - chains with innerduct pullers, swivels, etc. They just duct taped the three innerducts together and started yanking from the other end. It looked like DOC OCK from Spiderman.

Here I did all this research and spent about $750 on extra innerduct 'hardware' and had a plan, and get ignored.

Needless to say, they 'need me' now. Maybe not me, but anyone who has worked with or researched innerduct conduit and OSP pulls before; they haven't even seen the stuff before today.

The other mistakes -

They didn't provide me a pull box/point half way through the long 500' run. They don't want any kind of box in their parking lot frown . So, as a compromise, they are going to cut a top section out of the PVC pipe at the 250' point and when I am done, glue it back on - frown nice - it is a one-time deal.

They did pull three 4" PVC conduits on the 500' run and two 4" PVCs the rest of the way. Wrong. I requested METAL for the OSP to get to the phone room 175' run once it is into the building. Oh well. That is the way it is - I will live with it. As a fire carry hazard it really is not - the run goes down and around a giant mostly-open service shop. Of course, it wouldn't probably make an inspector jump for joy, but that isn't my problem. I said what I wanted to see. They ignored.

The fiber is coming soon so I told them to wait on the innerduct and we'll all 'work together' to get it done.

The good part is the guys who installed the PVC itself did clean work with large 48" radius sweeps and junction to pull from (except the center of the main 500' run). I will try to take pics. Getting out my camera when sparkie was trying to do the install today would have been a little obvious and maybe a little rude.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024