web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#451453 01/12/09 04:10 AM
sph Offline OP
OP Offline
Are there any? 66/110 blocks or anything in that vein (NOT shielded patch panels)?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#451454 01/12/09 09:59 AM
Not on this planet. If you were going to use STP you wouldn't be terminating it on blocks anyway.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#451455 01/13/09 01:33 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
A hundred years ago I installed Tele Resources 32 PBXs. The single line stations used shielded quad for station cable. We would cut down the 4 wires and then the drain (10 cables on each side of a 66 M1-50). We would then cross connect the 2 pairs for each station and a single wire ground to each of the drains. This was all on standard 66 Blocks.

What application are you trying to address?

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#451456 01/13/09 07:26 AM
sph Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanx for the responses. Sam, was the site you mention prone to noise? I assume your solution worked?

This is for a for client who is thinking of taking an extra floor of a loft-type building that used to house a small printing plant on the ground floor and basements. All the wiring in the floor they occupy (directly above the departed printing plant) is shielded as far as I could tell from a rough inspection.
They want to move the equipment closet to a bigger one on the floor above. I'd just rather install xconnects in the old space and move the equipment to the new closet. I figure the cost of extra STP is roughly similar to laying new UTP wire everywhere.
One thing I don't feel comfortable doing is mix STP + UTP on the same run. Let me reiterate that noise seeping into the wire from the presses is no longer an issue. I've never seen shielded xconnects either, but I was hoping I'd missed something.

#451457 01/13/09 03:44 PM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
SPH -

That particular system was a very, very early computerized PBX. They were trying to keep foreign data/static/noise out of the system. It worked.

STP is prevalent in Europe. And it's our (America's) fault. One of the scenarios for Nuclear war calls for exploding a small nuclear device in the atmosphere above the enemy's territory, with the aim of disrupting communications.

We anticipated war with the USSR, with conflict beginning over the German Plains. When we rebuilt the West German Phone system after WWII we insisted that all wiring be shielded to protect communications from nuclear interference.

The idea of shielding comm wire became standardized across Europe.

If you don't have noise or RF - don't bother. I would think that it's probably overkill.

Most OSP cable coming in from the street is shielded. So you usually have shielded and non-shielded on the same run anyway. (A line would be shielded from the CO to the premise and then be unshielded inside the customers premise).

Sam

#451458 01/13/09 05:27 PM
Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
I agree with Sam. If there is not viable reason for the STP anymore, then make it UTP to the new communications room.

Curious... how many runs are you talking about? If it's not that many and not that far... you may want to read this thread on splicing : click here .

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
#451459 01/14/09 04:37 AM
sph Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks. Nice info re:STP Sam. If I may add, the threat of nuclear war was what brought the internet into existence too - it's a long story, but a fascinating one.
As for Telco OSP cable being shielded, don't they also install BET/disconnects that take care of the STP/UTP mix? (ie with integrated protectors, grounding/draining, etc on the CO side).
Tony, they need about 2 dozen outlets with 2-3 ports each. I doubt it's going to be more than 60 station runs total. I was trying for the option of faster turnaround if we only had to lay wire on the new floor. Now we're leaning towards just putting in UTP everywhere (if we get the job, that is).

#451460 01/15/09 01:43 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
SPH -

Re' the origins of the Internet in the Cold War.

When I worked for GTE I heard that story from some of the guys who developed the Internet. It was one night when I was snowed in in Chicago. We had been working on a "Data over the Voice Network" option for the GTD-4600 and were all trying to get home. We were drinking in a bar in O'Hare and wound up drinking all night till the skies cleared and the planes started flying again.

It was a great story and I'd be happy to share it - and hear yours too - But that'll have to be in another thread.

Or over a couple of drinks some time.

Sam

#451461 01/16/09 10:28 AM
I worked at a radio station for a few years.. lots of shielded cabling, all on 66 blocks.. we used belden multipair solid individually shielded twisted pair for inter-studio snakes, and belden 8450 for jumpers. lots of heat shrink to dress the foil shields, and teflon tubing for drain wires.

lots of 25 pair utp for 1a2 as well, and a weco 711b SxS pbx..

#451462 01/16/09 12:52 PM
I know I mentioned this in a thread long ago about punching down stranded wire on 66 blocks, probably on another board.

Anyway, some guy who claimed to have done sound work for TV studios such as where QVC originates also claimed to use 66 blocks to terminate the mic cables with no problems. We were talking about stranded wire and of course I disagreed with him as to that being punched down on the clips of a 66 block. But my point here is that I would not have a problem using them to terminate STP or UTP. They really aren't going to pick up any hum.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,796 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 116 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024