Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Well, if you are speaking of the amp connector that was originally developed for 1A2, or some other use, and wound up being the basic default connector on most electronic key systems and PBX's, yes the tool to terminate them is clunky. BUT, I'll bet can terminate 25 pairs in one amp connector in 15-20 minutes today and I haven't done it in 10 years! I used to do an amp connector in under 10 minutes with the 3M 'foldover' tool. That includes setting up the machine, opening the connector pack, and prepping cable. Heck of a lot faster than scotchloks for high pair counts! And I'm no cable pro, that's for sure! I'll bet there are people on this site that can turn out finished connectors in 3-4 minutes! John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
No, these are AMP's "Picabond" connectors, used largely for small pair count OSP cable splicing. The breakaway version is often used when cutting in load coils.

There is no reason they can't be used for any splicing, but they can't be used without the proper tool. There is the standard hand crimper, or for larger splicing operations, there is a full rig that uses connectors in cartridges. Either way, these things aren't like beanies or Scotchloks where you can cheat and use pliers.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
The AMPs are a great connector. They are definitely their own skillset though. For guys used to using UR's and UY's they take some getting used to. When I first started splicing the AMP's were relatively common, and my father used to use them a lot...hence my familiarity with them upon entering the workforce. I used to watch my father splicing with the AMP tools and he would actually set up a couple of the tools screwed to a board and go hell for leather through large splices with it. Like anything if you dont gain proficiency with them you will have difficulty with them. The AMP tools are designed to be used as a fixed tool with the capability of being used as a free floating hand tool as well. They are great connections electrically.
The AMP connector's and tools are fairly unique in as much as you can spice, half-tap, and many other things with the same connector and tool, very very versatile. Shame they have died out for the most part...still see some here and there though.

The 25 Pair connectors are not "AMP" connectors, but "AMPHENOL", you may have heard them shortened to AMP by people.

Oh and most common failure: Inside and outside plant = failure to test.
Most common silly mistake: Stacking pairs on a 66 block...happens a lot, but not the block's fault!

Don't get all sweaty and lean on the block...it tingles a bit!
I still have my 25 pair amp tool. How many people have theirs? I would not sell this tool for any money.

Kevcom is right it's "AMPHENOL" and nothing to do with amp.

Don't find the Mop and bucket in the telecom closet.

We have 2 25 pair tools one set for Male the other set for female, works well for us.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,635 Shoretel
189,520 CTX100 install
187,779 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 128 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024