web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
First off let me introduce myself since this my first post. I am a systems administrator (one of those IT guys I keep reading about on your forum) except I know when something has me licked.

After a fire at one of my clients, they decided to build new. I am taking care of the data wiring, have did that for quite some time. What has me a bit puzzled is the choice in phone equipment. Unfortunately, I don't have any say because the owner is determined he knows better (and doesn't want to spend additional money on a PBX).

-Cabling: Cat5E, most places are either 4 or 6 drops for multiple items (it amazed me how many optometrist measurement devices are now Ethernet capable.) I know many of you guys don't like running Cat5 for voice but again, out of my hands.

-Phones: Typical office superstore with 4 line up to 16 extensions. I tried like a dickens to get him to go with my vendor and let them install a small ESI or Vodavi system but had no luck.

-Lines: Unfortunately he has a long standing with his cable company providing him 4 lines and has had no problems. Same as the phones, owner knows better...I'd rather deal with the telco but once again, he pays the bills that let me continue eating...and from the size of my gut, I like to do that often! smile

All of the Cat 5 cabling will go to patch panels and I planned on taking whatever type of output from the cable company to a 66. What I'm not sure about is how I should "hub" all these phones together.

My initial thought was: Floor drop patch panel -> Patch cable -> Telephone patch panel where all 4 pairs are connected together and taking the lines from the 66 back into a 8P8C modular connector into the first port of the panel to feed the voice circuits into each pair.

On the station end, 8P8C modular at the wall that splits into two 6P4C to enter the phone.

I obviously know there's no real "right" way to do this as 16 extensions SHOULD be on a PBX but for now I'm stuck working with this without option of using an outside telephone guy.

I will deeply appreciate any suggestions and criticisms.

Thanks!

Jeff
Lead Field Engineer, MSCNS
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

What I would do is similar to your first idea. A telephone patch panel with patch cords from it as necessary to the ports on the premises wiring patch panel that are for the jacks used for the phones.

Wire the back of the telephone patch panel with individual 4 pair cables as 568A and terminate the other ends (all four pair) on split 66M blocks. You will need two blocks, 6 cables per side. Then what you will do is use cross connect wire to loop all the white/blues together and then over to line 1 on another block with the COs from the cable modem. Do the same with the W/O, W/G and W/Br for lines 2,3 and 4.

Back at eack jack use a splitter to provide 2 separate 6pos/4pin jacks.

This will provide maximum flexibility not only for moving phones but should he give in later and go for a key system.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'm guessing from your email that the customer wants to use 4 line non-ksu phones. Sure, it's his money and his business. If it doesn't work well, then it's his problem.

I would bring the 16 Cat 5 voice cables to 3 66 blocks mounted next to the feed coming in from the cable company. Cut the cables down on one side of the blocks and then loop the 4 lines to each of the cables, terminating the cross connects on the opposite side of the block. Use bridging clips to establish a connection. (This will help you to troubleshoot in the event you've got a bad set that screws up the whole shebang.)

Now you're all set for when the phones don't work. Doing it this way, it should be easy enough to have a telephone vendor install a real phone system and connect it up properly.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Looks like Hal beat me to it.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
If you can get him to punch those 16 drops down directly on 66 blocks Sam.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Nope, I tried. All of the premise wiring onto patch panels then jump to the telephone patch panel via patch cable. Sounds like a "patchy" day!

Please see if this is logically laid out properly. I'm a very visual type of person...especially on things I'm not very familiar with.

[Linked Image from ampleworks.com]

If all is good, there's only one thing I am unsure on. On Block #1, the first four pair will be telco lines; where will I connect the 128 cross connects to?

Or did I just confuse myself even more??

Thanks!

Jeff
Online Content
You'll loop CO line one to all your w/bl pairs CO line two to all the white orange and down the line. You'll have two jacks at each station location one for lines one and two and one for lines three and four.

I didn't read all the post in here but these things work on 600 feet of cable max per the manufacture. 16 phones that's just a little over 37 feet of cable per phone. These things are also a pain to trouble shoot when one phone goes bad and causes line troubles. I'm sure I repeated some of what Sam and Hal said.

Retired phone dude
Please see if this is logically laid out properly. I'm a very visual type of person...especially on things I'm not very familiar with.

Instead of the 48&48&32 cross connects you should LOOP down each of your three 66 blocks using the 66 blade on your punch tool that doesn't cut the wire. So you will have only the ends of the loops which is 4 pair from each block to cross connect over the the cable company block.

-Hal

OP Offline
I was not aware of the 600' limitation. Is this just limiting intercom functionality or will no stations be able to use CO lines?

The building's size is 60x60 and includes a second floor. The telephone room is near the rear corner. Looks like its time to break out the blueprints to see if its even possible to use this system.

Jeff
And if you use CAT5 those distances will probably be even less.

-Hal

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Professor Shadow), 206 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024