web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#453427 12/30/09 03:10 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Surprise subject line, huh? Seriously, I can't seem to win an ongoing battle with Comcast but I can't place the blame entirely upon them. Here's the problem I'm having with my cable TV service:

In the warm months, my signal is too strong coming into the house to the extent that my distribution amp overdrives the signal for the digital receivers. This results in "freeze frames", etc. Comcast's solution was to remove the distribution amp and replace it with an 8-way splitter.

This fixes the problem with the digital receiver, but the remaining TVs with basic cable have a crappy picture. I've just learned to live with that part.

Now that it has gotten cold, Comcast has gone around padding the line extenders in the area to compensate for the temperature change. This means that my signal is too low now and I have to put the distribution amp back in.

They claim that until the budget allows for auto-compensating LEs to be installed, I'm just going to have to live with this. Truth be known, it really isn't a big deal for me to move eight cables from a splitter to an amp, but that's because I know what I'm doing. I can't imagine a typical customer being capable (or willing) to do this.

I do know that Es Comcastico has a truck in my tiny neighborhood once a week at different neighbors' houses. I don't even waste my time calling them anymore because I'm tired of the double talk, plus I'm not very good at speaking Spanish. That is assuming of course that I'm able to get them to actually send someone. Most calls usually result in "unplug all of jour TB sets and count to tirty......"

I usually hang up before my head explodes. Does anyone know of any buzz words I can use with them to make them come up with a real solution?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#453428 12/30/09 03:44 PM
Yep....Direct TV...lol

I Swear I did not touch anything bash
#453429 12/30/09 09:39 PM
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
They speak Spanish in India?

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
#453430 12/31/09 01:18 AM
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
As you know, many of the states utility commissions do little if any control or regulation of cable companies. This is left to the local community with their "franchise agreements". These agreements offer little in the way of consumer protection and communities really don't bother with or fund an office to investigate complaints. As long as "the check" clears each month along with local access for the school district and community is always available, everything is O.K.! So, what can you do? Talk to your local elected officals, letters to editor, in other words organize! The Music Man above all else was a story about a flim-flam man, remember?

#453431 12/31/09 03:28 AM
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
I'm with Anthony. I had Cablevision for years until they pissed me off one time too often and I went to Dish Network.

I never regretted it. I stayed with Dish until this year when I went to FIOS. There was nothing wrong with Dish (except for losing signal a couple of times a year in really bad weather). I liked their equipment, I liked their programming, I liked their pricing and I really liked their customer service. FIOS however, was a much better deal and their picture quality is awesome.

If you have a choice to change to and you continue to let these people annoy you, you're just being masochistic.

I know they shouldn't have the right to be so obnoxious, I know they have a "public trust" and a responsibility to deliver good service and all that, but if they really tick you off just vote with your feet and leave. You have other choices - why let the b*stards aggravate you? Send them a biblical quotation - my favorite is "be fruitful and multiply with yourselves", and then go somewhere else for service.

Does this sound like the Bell System in the '70s and Interconnect? We're all in business because Bell ticked off enough people with their arrogance and bad service and, and, and...

Just leave and don't let them bother you again.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
#453432 12/31/09 04:02 AM
I have the misfortune of having Comcast also, get the same story about hot and cold weather. The cable plant in this area is so old they cant give me HD and Im too wooded for a dish and no FIOS.They bought out Adelphia when they went belly up here and say theres no money for upgrades but I still pay the market price. Theres a VP Rick Germano I always complained to which always got a quick response from the local people.
Heres the address https://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/RickGCustCare.html
I really dont blame the local people, not much they can do with an outdated cable plant and a corporate thats not willing to spend some of the millions theyre making to serve their customers. You only need to Google "Comcast complaints" to get a lifetime of reading

#453433 12/31/09 06:32 AM
around here i had a similar issue with videotron, in the summer i would lose digital cable between noon and 4 pm every day, my analog signal would get full of static as well. Anyways, videotron would send one of thier sub contractors here either in the morning or evening, never when the problem was present. I gave up and spoke to a collegue whos brother is a supervisor at videotron, we put a booster on the line and all problems have disapeared. Videotron still insists there was no problem on the line, and everytime i call, insist i should switch to them for phone...

Jay, a recovering IT guy
#453434 12/31/09 07:15 AM
I've had a lot less problems since Time Warner bought Adelphia. It's still not great but is getting better. From what I read over on the Cabletechs forum, Comcast sucks, both as a customer and to work for.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#453435 12/31/09 08:35 AM
OP Offline
Gelehu, I agree that things went downhill when Comcast bought Adelphia's market. I used to be on a first-name basis with Adelphia's local service manager, in fact I had his cell phone number because of my chronic problems. He's gone now, so I'm back to being a regular customer with them.

I had Direct TV for several years, but it is just too windy here to get even a well-mounted dish to receive a reliable signal. Quite frankly, I got tired of going up on my 12/12 roof to tinker with it several times per year. Besides, they didn't offer local channels at the time.

I need to have Comcast for their high speed Internet service. I'm too far out from the CO for DSL and I'm not willing to risk satellite cost and reliability.

So as it sits, I'm going to have to complain to the county's CATV commission. I've done this before, but they are just a bunch of part-time "good old boys" who really don't care, nor are they willing to do anything. Yep, as long as the county's facilities are receiving service, they don't seem to care much about anything else. Since my issue is temperature-related, they rarely find anything wrong when they send out a technician several days later!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#453436 12/31/09 09:20 AM
How about terminating the sets that need the amplification on their own splitter, and the sets that do not on their own splitter? Then put an "A-B" switch that enables/disables an in-line amplifier when it's needed/not needed?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 180 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024