Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the question, let's say you're out in the field and the situation is that you discover yourself a tool short, what do you do?

I recently had to make a loopback connector to trace a cable back to the switch without toner. It sure took some time and little fiddling around, taking a note which ports on the switch were being used for sure and eliminate those out of the equation, but it got the job done.

I know, you will probably say something about a must of having tools with you all the time, but this was not one of those cases.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
I tend to put my probe in my pocket and leave it at home. I Use my buttset on speaker as a probe. It works.

RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
or just the but set up to your ear and run the clips down the block Ive go a case for the tone and probe and I always make it a point to check that there both there before a Leave the job , the case hangs off my tool bag

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
I'll assume you're talking in general terms, not specifically a probe/toner.

That being said, it depends on: what I'm missing, how bad I need it, how far to office, distance to store for yet another one, how FAST I need it, etc.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Lots of stories about not having the right tools, or not having a live 9-volt battery for the various tools.

Once, I left my toner and probe at a job, along with a few other hand tools, because "I'll be back in the morning, to finish the job."

The next morning, of course, I have to go 25 miles in the other direction to tone out 20 or so wires that I had already run. Get there, no toner, no probe. No tool supply store anywhere in the area.

I shorted the W/Bl pair in the first cable, the O/W pair in the next, etc, then shorted the w/bl to w/or leads, etc, then shorted bl/white to or/white, etc, until I had all the combinations that I could. Luckily I had a brown meter with me, and could look for the various short circuits, and then label the runs. It actually took less time than walking back and forth moving the toner. I just sat at the MDF and looked for shorts, cut them down, labeled them, and moved on to the next one.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
Dave, you're right, I was talking in general term of not having a tool due a reason of either you never had a need for it before, be it lost or forgotten or just not having your toolbox with you at all kind of situations. Just a situation you found yourself in a jam, and was able to think quick on your feet to come up with a reasonable solution on the spot.

I like Arthur's way of figuring out the cables, but could of been avoided if they were labelled at least with a sharpie on both ends, but that doesn't always happen especially if you were not the original installer.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
over the years I have managed to acquire multiples of the tools that are a must. Punch down, toner and probe, butt set, moduler plug crimper, as well as screwdrivers, scissors..I leave kind of a back kit on the vehicle at all times. I also learned a long time ago to have a tool bag that I can inspect when I leave the job site. Empty pocket means I forgot something. A few spare 9V batteries in the glove box doesn't hurt.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
In my truck, I have a 2nd tool belt for when I get my older brother to pull cables for me, so I usually have a spare.....

I also carry the 3 most likely batteries that I might need: AA, AAA & 9v.

But there are still times.... :bang:

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Oh Arthur, the brown case meter...kinda wish I had one but I guess I'll keep my sidekick. Although young to the trade <15 years, my teeth were cut on the brown case meter from a retired SCB employee. And Dave, like you I keep an extra belt for any help I may acquire. But the main tool an installer needs is a good knowledge of the trade to adapt and overcome. By the way, although not used I still have a yellow banana probe passed down to me-- hey don't knock me for being a hoarder--i might need it one day. But always keep good batteries. And NEVER leave the keys to your enclosed trailer at home and drive 20 miles to the job...kinda embarrassing to tell customer you'll be back in a little while.

I don't pull a trailer, but I did have a key problem. I usually have my cocker spaniels in the truck & they had a tendency to get over excited when they say me getting close to the truck so they accidentally locked me out a couple of times. frown

Wish my wife would still get that excited.....she just locks me out. :rofl:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,893
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,865 Shoretel
189,979 CTX100 install
188,091 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
dexman 6
teleco 6
dans 5
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 98 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024