web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
This is the 21st century and apparently that is what Cat5 was originally designed for! Weather you like it not its being done daily and if you know how to install it correctly you can appreciate it. There is 100 pair phone cable behind my house it was installed in 1980 on poles, it has alarm circuits, ADSL, pots lines and what ever the phone company has running through it. Around supper time everybodys phone is ringing and everybody is on the internet and everything is running through that old 100 pair. There is no noise on my line and the Internet is OK. My house is networked on one cat5 since 1998 and it works great and looks great and cost half the price of running two separate networks ...
argue Touche

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Originally posted by Arthur P. Bloom:
The 5th line on a ComKey 416 system requires three-pair wiring.
OK, you are right about the three pair wiring requirement, but it did use a D8W line cord and an 8P8C connecting block with WECO wiring (A.K.A: 568B). I was close.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Yes, you are close enough.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Way back in the beginning of Structured cabling systems AT&T came out with a 21 pair cable which included 7 groups of 3 pair, each group was wrapped with mylar and then the 7 3-pair groups were formed under the cable sheath. It was meant to terminate on a row of a 110 block using 110C-3 clips. The wiring system didn't last long as far as the market goes, eventually replaced with 4 pair cat 3.

Note to Sam - This was for Thompson McKinon down on the wharf, Forest installed it about 1986 or 87

I'm a black & white type of guy.....the only grey in my life is the hair on my head!
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Thanks Joe. I remember seeing it and scratching my head. Why not 8x3? It filled the blocks better! I was at Lenox Hill Hospital in those days and we had just finished wiring 3,000+ stations - all with 3 pair. We had 2500 sets for the patients,GTE Flashcomm (analog SLT sets with hold and flash) and Eagle electronic Key for Admin. All sitting behind a GTD-4600 CO.

For Data we used the same 3 pair with Baluns for IBM cluster controllers.

From there I went to Irving Trust. Same set up. 3 pair was all we needed. Electronic Key was either ITT or Eagle. Easy to run, easy to term, easy to use. 8 cables on each side of a 66 block. I guess it was around 1988 that we started experimenting with Cat 5 - but just for Data. Voice was still 3 pair Cat 3.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Originally posted by festec:
This is the 21st century and apparently that is what Cat5 was originally designed for! Weather you like it not its being done daily and if you know how to install it correctly you can appreciate it. There is 100 pair phone cable behind my house it was installed in 1980 on poles, it has alarm circuits, ADSL, pots lines and what ever the phone company has running through it. Around supper time everybodys phone is ringing and everybody is on the internet and everything is running through that old 100 pair. There is no noise on my line and the Internet is OK. My house is networked on one cat5 since 1998 and it works great and looks great and cost half the price of running two separate networks ...
argue Touche
half price ? cable is the smallest cost in the equation , the labor is roughly the same to pull one or two cables . termination costs ? your still making two terminations using two jacks .

just how much Ethernet is running on that "old 100 pair" ? (we are talking about Ethernet here )

look at the "ugly work thread here , most of that stuff "works great" if you where to ask those that installed it

there is nothing new about the concept , I recall a distributor in the early 90's touting the adapters and stating two Ethernet drops per cat5 cable or Ethernet and phone on one cable

what you do at your own house for yourself or what may be done in a existing situation with no other practical choice is one thing but to advocate and practice non standard compliant new installations as a "cabling pro" is just plain wrong and a poor practice in my opinion

there is a lot of poor , non standard compliant work being "done daily "

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Originally posted by Derrick:
Come on now. I respect everyone here and I think this has been a really good discussion. And with that in mind I have to say that to say never run two devices on one cat5 e is like saying that a telco should never put two pris on the same copper pair cable. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, when another run isn't possible.

Also, its okay to run up to 44 volts DC of POE over one or two pairs of a cat 5e with no problem but a second ethernet connection or a 24 volt or 48 volt analog connection instead of POE is a problem? POE is designed to use in place of USB because it is cheaper than using USB repeaters. I am not convinced that a tdm phone or second ethernet (up to 100mbps) can be more detrimental to the cat5 run than 44 volts dc.

I also know that some tech companies such as Simplex Grinnell (a Tyco company) are requiring their techs to install two voice and two data jacks to each workstation using 2 cat5e cables not four. They seperate the pairs at the patch panel end and at the workstation end. This has become standard practice in their offices and so far it seems to work fine.
Good points. I may have to do this for a customer of mine. They moved into an Old building with existing cable. I am afraid to open the ceiling tiles due to possible Asbestos used. I think I will just use the Brown White off of the data cable for the voice. :db:

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Use the blue/white. The brown/white was originally planned as a power pair wwwaaayyy back when 4 pair was recommended by ATT. The Idea was White/blue-voice, White/orange and White/green-data, and White/brown-power.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Four pair just makes sense. Cat5 was purpose designed for extended data transmission but one of its selling points is it is backwards compatible - so to speak. You can wire a whole building with cat5 and then depending on how you break out the ends you can go voice or data or video. More pairs the better. Four pairs just means you can accomodate all the wiring standards, 568A, B, USOC etc plus it gives room to grow. Which BTW is what happened when POE came about. So I would disagree that the design goal was ripping off buyers. Maybe I am naive that the cable industry is devoid of conspiracies but this one doesn't get my spidey sense worked up.

Touché
aok

IBDN/CDT Certified

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,784
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,902 Shoretel
188,981 CTX100 install
187,206 1a2 system
Newest Members
A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww, gohunt
49,766 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 5
dexman 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 158 guests, and 170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024