web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cepega Offline OP
OP Offline
Is there any possible way to make a cable toner just to get by in an extreme emergency?

Same question goes for making a probe.

Thanks

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Why not just buy one? Home Depot stocks them.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Admin
Admin
Almost any audio source could be used in place of a tone but the probe would be difficult to duplicate. Like Jeff says go to a near by HD and get the right tool for the job.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Admin
Admin
Here's an emergency solution. Go to a big box home improvement store, or order one in advance https://www.google.com/products/cat...eTquFM-W80AHk0NzeAg&ved=0CEYQ8wIwAw#

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
If you carried the Siemon STM-8, you would have an emergency toner. Your butt set will work as a pickup!

Let's assume for a moment that there has been a major disaster, and a trip to the store is not an option. And that your tools/equipment and backup tools/equipment are not available. Could you build a toner and probe out of coconuts and vines, ala Gilligan's Island? No. A ball point pen and some ketchup packets, ala MacGyver? No. Two junked school buses and a snowmobile, ala "The A-Team?" No.

But, you could try this: Use any audio source for the tone, as Merritt said. Then, if you have a guitar pickup and an audio amplifier, this could be used as an inductive probe.

Would it work? Maybe, but the first issue that comes to mind is that even a small guitar pickup is huge compared to a probe, and would be almost worthless in a tight situation.

Here are some other things that might work as an inductive probe [when connected to an audio amplifier with a high input impedance]:
  • The hearing aid coil from the receiver element of a late-model 2500 phone
  • The coil assembly from an old magnetic microphone
  • a magnetic pickup form a turntable [record player]
  • other items of a similar type [hit the junkbox and dig]

Again, emphasis is placed on "might work." Try it and see...

Jim
Speaking from a secure undisclosed location.

Most probes are not inductive. Just stick a nail on a cable on the input of an audio amp. That's all they are.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
All you need to hear the tone is a speaker.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Yes:

Speaker output from a radio or one of those eye-things that teenagers listen to, put across a pair, or from one side of a pair to ground.

Take your butt set, put it on monitor, ground one clip, and hold the other clip in your hand. Spit on your finger, and run your finger down the terminal, or across the bare ends of the wires, if they aren't terminated yet.

If you are trying to find one wire in an installation, use the above method.

The audio source can also be a 6 volt dry cell and a doorbell buzzer. The old Western Electric gray 81A buzzer was two D cells and an intercom buzzer. We used a cheap AM transistor radio as an exploring coil, when looking for a pair in a building that might have 1,200 house pairs.

OR:

If you are trying to identify a bunch of wires, and trying to terminate them at an MDF, do this:

(assumes 8p8c jacks already terminated, and that you have a continuity device, like a battery and light bulb, or a volt-ohm meter)

At jack #1, short the first pair
At jack #2, short the second pair
etc.

At jack #5, short the two first tips
At jack #6, short the two last tips
At jack #7, short the 1st and 3rd tips
etc.

Then short the various combinations of rings.

Then start over and use the above schemes, but ground them from the center screw of an adjacent receptical.

I needed to ID 42 or so wires, after hours, in a new office, and drove all the way there (25 miles each way) in my wife's car, which uses a lot less gas than my Ford E150. I remembered to bring "everything" that I needed except a toner and a probe. Homie Da Poe was 40 miles the other direction.

So, I used the above method, which wasn't so onerous. I got a couple of data patch cords, cut them in half, stripped the ends, made the various combinations of short circuits, and plugged them in at the jacks. You just need to record the color code and the jack location, and then look for the shorts at the MDF. If done right, you actually save time, because you aren't walking back and forth as much.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

The audio source can also be a 6 volt dry cell and a doorbell buzzer. The old Western Electric gray 81A buzzer was two D cells and an intercom buzzer.

Ah, why didn't I say that? A buzzer was the first "toner". Matter of fact many old timers still call a tone generator a "buzzer".

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Yoda, Toner, Curlycord), 131 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024